Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
118 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 118

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Heat deflecting plate under carb
Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Did all 51' 288's have the heat deflector under the carb? If so
having one might help manage my underhood temps around the carb.
I'm in the market for one....don't want to make my own....If you have one for sale please PM me. Also posted in the "for sale,trade,wanted" forum.

Thanks
Steve

Posted on: 2015/6/2 15:16
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Re: Heat deflecting plate under carb
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Speaking of deflecting heat from the carburetor, this reminds me of something I saw years ago. In the mid-1970s I looked at a, then new, Datsun B210. Under the hood near the carburetor was a small fan to blow air around the carburetor. I asked and the salesperson what it was and he said it was to help cool the carb. Maybe a small fan could be rigged to help cool the carburetor on our Packards? This might be something to consider fitting to help stave off vapor locking. Just a thought...

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/6/2 16:42
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
That is something I have wondered, is vapor lock a bigger problem with these cars, now that the gas has alcohol in it?? I see they are talking of raising the amount of alcohol in the coming years from 10% on up to 15%... maybe higher.

Thanks John

Posted on: 2015/6/2 19:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
Hi Steve, my '52 with a 327 doesn't have any heat shields around the carb, other than the one for the fuel pump. I looked recently at a potential parts car '51 but I didn't see any shields there either, although I wasn't specifically looking for that.

Posted on: 2015/6/2 20:51
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Unless you live in a brutally hot climate or at high altitude (or both), you really should have no problems with vapor lock even with E10 gasoline if the engine is in good tune and the cooling system is functioning as designed. Making a heat shield for the carburetor might help but shouldn't be needed, though the fuel pump heat shield is important. Also important (where specified) are the insulating blocks beneath the carburetor, between the fuel pump and block, and the bolt-insulating sleeves on the fuel pump mounting.

UPDATE: here's a couple of photos of a carburetor heat shield on a 356 engine - perhaps these will help you design and fabricate something - it's pretty simple and should be duck soup to make. There are two small right-angle brackets welded to the shield which mount under the two inboard carburetor retaining studs. I don't recall the source of the photos, but my thanks to the original photographer.

Attach file:

jpg  (29.48 KB)
177_556f066568879.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (37.31 KB)
177_556f066c0a90b.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2015/6/2 22:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
You can find additional info here.

Posted on: 2015/6/3 20:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
My 51 200 did not come with a heat shield under the carb, but I used one from a 51 Hudson that does seem to help. I can send photos if you like.

Posted on: 2015/6/5 7:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Splendid Dave, Thank you for the offer....yes, please post a pix or two.
Regards
Steve....

Posted on: 2015/6/5 20:31
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved