Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
126 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 124

John Sauser, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

packard super 8 1937
Just popping in
Just popping in

paul hartfield
See User information
Hi I have a Packard super 8 1937 which we are rebuilding to take part in the 2016 peking to paris rally. I am looking to see if it is possible to change the gearbox at present an original 3 speed,to an 4 or 5 speed box of some sort????. It can be non Packard.
Has anyone any advice or experience or knows any possibly changes.

thanks paul hartfield

Posted on: 2015/7/6 8:27
 Top  Print 

Re: packard super 8 1937
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Yes, this is possible. The only Packard path is to utilize the 1939 Super 8 only bellhousing, which then allows use of the more modern (39-54) Packard transmissions, or with that bellhousing, it would be possible to adapt to nearly any other transmission, with the requisite amount of adaptation. The Packard transmission options would certainly allow for an overdrive as well, and more importantly, a transmission that could conceivably be serviced enroute if required. The Packard transmissions would certainly be up to the task.

1. Yes, I know where a 39 Super 8 bellhousing can be bought. (most important, as these are nearly unobtainium)
2. Further consultation regarding transmission options, to particularly include the knowledge to adapt a top shifter is on-site and available. Peter Toet, the resident expert, just consulted last week to the latest person to go this path.
3. I am familiar with the Peking to Paris requirements, including the ability to turn one's back on reason and proceed with this plan...

DAF

Posted on: 2015/7/6 13:35
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day paul hartfield,
to PackardInfo.

Peking to Paris is an ambitious endeavour to participate in and very doable as evidenced by all those who have gone before. Speaking of which, could you keep us updated on your progress, maybe start a Project Blog? Also I invite you to include your '37 Super 8 in the Packard Owner's Registry.

EDIT - Here's a thread by another poster also with ambitions on the Peking to Paris.

Posted on: 2015/7/6 15:30
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

paul hartfield
See User information
Hi Does anyone know the transmission ratios in an 1937 Packard super 8 please.
Thanks paul hartfield

Posted on: 2015/12/1 13:54
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Hello, Paul,

Not sure where the '37 Super 8 is listed, but not in this parts book. There's an 8, 138CD for 1937 in this book. The axle ratios look like 4.54 standard, 4.36 or 4.7 special. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable can point you to the correct info.

http://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/partslist3541/1935-41_PartsList_Group12_RearAxle.pdf

Joe

Posted on: 2015/12/1 14:31
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is some info from the new model mechanical specs given in Service Letter Vol 10 #17 but it looks like the info is given in conjunction with rear axle ratio.

Attach file:

jpg  (48.05 KB)
209_565df62fd9a93.jpg 1280X389 px

Posted on: 2015/12/1 14:34
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just divide the final drive ratios by the rear axle ratio to get the transmission ratios.

Posted on: 2015/12/1 15:26
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Paul,
for including your Peking to Paris '37 Super Eight Touring Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry. Would love to see some photos of it!

Posted on: 2015/12/7 14:56
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Hello Paul and all, I would strongly recommend that you do NOT install an Overdrive at this time. I would swap out your 4.69 rear axle ratio for a 4.07. I would also consult with Jim Walters who with len McNeely, won the Round the World rally in 2000, in a 1938 Super Eight.
http://web.archive.org/web/20001007192639/http:/atw.csp.net

Posted on: 2015/12/7 15:44
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print 

Re: Packard Super 8 1937
Just popping in
Just popping in

burkewhb1
See User information
I have noticed you refer to your 1937 Packard as a "Super 8
120". A 1937 Packard Super 8 was a huge car, of 127, 134, or
139 inch wheelbase. It had a 320 Cu. in. straight 8 engine
with 135 horsepower. It was, in price, the next Packard down
from the 12, which had the big 473 cu. in 175 HP V12 engine. A Packard 120 was a 120 inch wheelbase car with a 282 cu. in. straight8 engine developing 120 hp. It was first built by Packard in 1935 for the less wealthy middle class buyer, and actually saved Packard from going under in the great depression. The Packard 120 was still every inch a Packard and had a top speed in the neighborhood of 100 mph, whereas the much heavier Super Eight models might reach 85 mph, depending on the body style.

From looking at the pictures of the cars participating in the
2015 Sahara Rally, I can see that your car is definitely
a Super Eight sedan (127" wheelbase), not a 120. Therefore
you own a much more valuable car, although with its excessive
weight (well over 4000 pounds), you might have more difficulties traveling over all those bad roads.

Good luck in the 2016 Peking to Paris Motor Challenge!

Posted on: 2016/2/17 19:20
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved