Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
151 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 151

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

48, 288 boggs down past half throttle
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

mrstude
See User information
Working on a1948, 288 I8. As you accel, when you get around and beyond half throttle, the engine starts to bog down and loose power. This can be replicated while sitting still in neutral. I reset the points, inspected and cleaned spk plugs. The plugs were somewhat fowled. I tried retarding as advancing the timing and closed the choke as it was losing power. None of these things helped the condition. I acts as if it is too rich, when it does this. The carb appears the be a replacement unit. Any thoughts out there
thanks
Rick

Posted on: 2015/7/8 14:34
 Top  Print 

Re: 48, 288 boggs down past half throttle
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
What make, model and type number do you have for the carburetor?

Posted on: 2015/7/8 14:49
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Take the cover off of the metering rods on the carburetor and make sure that they are attached to the linkage and not just sitting in their bores--or outright missing.

Csrb should be a Carter WDO, or a very acceptable (later) substitute would be a Carter WGD. Anything else is aftermarket/substitution.

Posted on: 2015/7/8 14:56
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
If I'm not mistaken, there's also vacuum advance on the 288. So if that's not functioning, you'll not make power.

Posted on: 2015/7/14 20:10
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave Schmick
See User information
You might also want to check your fuel filter as well. I had similar issue with my '50 327, and replacing the filter fixed it.

Posted on: 2015/7/15 9:06
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved