Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
112 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 111

r1lark, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Packard V8 in the Engine Masters Challenge
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
For those of you who may not subscribe to Popular Hot Rodding or Hot Rod Magazine, the Engine Masters Challenge has been an annual dyno racing contest. It's heretofore been for the popular late model V8s. This year, there's a Vintage class added: Engine Masters Challenge
Normally Aspirated OEM domestic production passenger car V8 engine types or families introduced in 1954 or earlier. Any Hemi from Chrysler Corp prohibited. Other antique engine families introduced after 1954 allowed by specific listing. Listed engines include: Nailhead Buick, Y-block Ford, Chrysler 1956-1967 A-Series Polyspheric small block and Packard V8. At the first release of the rules, the Packard V8 wasn't included. I wrote them a request and got us in.

After all that, I had my checkbook out and was going to enter either a Studebaker V8 or a Packard V8 in the Vintage class, but then saw the dates in October. It's smack in the middle of a long-planned family event, so I can't be there.

Fortunately, I saw Lynn Peterson from Kustom Kemps had picked up on the opportunity to enter a Packard V8. Lynn's normally a late AMC guy, but since AMC used the Packard V8 in '55-56 Hudsons and Nashes, he thought it fit. When I saw his entry, I offered to help any way I could and the result is we're partnering with Lynn on a Packard V8 build; it's a great opportunity for us both.

Lynn would have been starting from scratch and since I have a complete 366" Packard V8 built for Bonneville some years ago it gets the project rolling quickly. It's got a lot of the good stuff in it already, but will need to be completely rebuilt for the EMC as it has too much cam and compression for sea level 3,500 RPM pulls.

The one thing the Packard V8 definitely needs to be competitive is a full-on pro porting job. Lynn says he's got the guy to take the Packard heads to the max. It remains to be seen if the factory iron heads can hold their own with the aftermarket aluminum heads available to Jon's Ford Y-block and the early Oldsmobile guys.

It's going to be a stretch to get it ready in time, but I shipped Lynn my engine plus some extra parts and we're going for it.

jack vines

Posted on: 2015/7/8 19:56
 Top  Print 

Re: Packard V8 in the Engine Masters Challenge
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Good Luck Jack - I hope your efforts are rewarding.
Keep us in the loop.

Posted on: 2015/7/8 20:50
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
This sounds interesting. Look forward to hearing how it goes.

Posted on: 2015/7/8 22:31
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Jack Vines Quote:
The one thing the Packard V8 definitely needs to be competitive is a full-on pro porting job.

Good luck with that! Packard heads are similar to Pontiac heads, so professional porters have some models to follow. However, the siamesed center exhaust ports are a big problem. IMO, that would be the major choke point in the breathing as there is not enough cast iron around them to balance them out with the end ports. Also, the siamesed common outlet disallows a truly tuned exhaust.

I figure one could make 450HP, but that would be about it.

Craig

Posted on: 2015/7/9 6:51
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Jack

After the challenge, will the engine go into a Packard? If so, which one?

Steve

Posted on: 2015/7/9 16:48
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Here's the irony - I've built more Packard V8s than most, but I've never owned a Packard!

I got into the Packard V8 because my parents bought a '56 Hudson Hornet - maybe the ugliest car ever built - but I was taken by the engine.

Then, I got into Studebakers and was especially fascinated by the '56 Golden Hawk.

Anyway, my Packard V8s are all in Studebakers.

BTW - the EMC engine has Hilborn fuel injection, a race-only unit.

jack vines

Posted on: 2015/7/9 19:34
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

Jack Vines wrote:
...my parents bought a '56 Hudson Hornet - maybe the ugliest car ever built...

I'd agree... but then... they built the 1957 Hudson.

Posted on: 2015/7/10 8:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I like the Packard V-8 cars for what they are, but if you look at a modern computer controlled V-8 with cross bolted main bearings, oil cooled pistons, great fuel efficiency, and hundreds of horsepower, I don't know why magazines act they way they do. My joke here in Detroit is that one engineer said to another "I can't understand why people are paying so much money for those old cars while we have so much trouble selling our nice new ones."

I'm not very interested in fast cars because I can't seem to get through to people in this city that the reason Toyota is the number one car maker is the Corolla. When we look at the engineering approach that goes into that car we are floored. The thing is doing great despite all the garbage regulations coming out of the government.

Posted on: 2015/7/10 16:57
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Click to see original Image in a new window

Click to see original Image in a new window

Here are a couple of intakes being prepared for the EMC.

jack vines

Posted on: 2015/9/5 12:36
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
What valve springs? Maybe those lunati ones I'm using will work. Idk

Posted on: 2015/9/5 12:49
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved