Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
214 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 213

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Ethanol and Renewable Fuel Standards
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan Phenicie
See User information
http://www.regulations.gov/#!documentDetail;D=EPA-HQ-OAR-2015-0111-0002

Looks like we have a narrow window to share our contempt for ethanol

Posted on: 2015/7/12 21:54
Dan
 Top  Print   

Re: Ethanol and Renewable Fuel Standards
Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
I guess we all realize that ethanol is not compatible with old engines, and wreaks havoc on two cycle equipment. Is there any hope that when the fluid that they sell as fuel for our vehicles gets an even higher dose of corn juice that our carbs, fuel lines and pumps can be protected. I currently use additives with every fillip to deal,with the 10% stuff and pay through the nose for non- ethanol fuel for my weed eater or other two cycle equipment
Aside from installing gaskets and hoses that are more resistant to ethanol and buying expensive additives , does anyone have any tricks to preserve the engines from damage.
There is a local marina that still sells real gas but it is located nearly 30 miles,distant and it,is impractical to hope that this source,will meet the needs for regular operation. Eventually,you,will,run out of real gas away from your source and be compelled to fill,up at the neighborhood filling station.
The vehicles,do not see much use but adding Stabil or similar additives may not be enough.
The lobbying powers who have foisted corn juice as auto fuel have the increased volumes pretty well,locked,into our futures- public comments to the contrary.
If I assume that we will be dealing with 12-15% volume in the near future, the question is what can we do to preserve our equipment.

Posted on: 2015/7/13 2:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Here is what I said:

Ethanol is an environmental waste. Growing corn to burn in car motors is stupid. As well there are millions of children in this country who are under nourished and wish they could have a bowl of corn flakes. If the government wants to reduce pollution they should encourage people to drive less and car companies to build smaller motors. EPA and government policy about automobiles is corrupt nonsense.
EPA is a joke and should be closed down along with the rest of Washington DC.

Posted on: 2015/7/13 14:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
That's just another thing you can thank Slick Willie Clinton for. His admin caved to ADM. Of course, he denies ever hearing of ethanol and there's no proof he'll say.

Posted on: 2015/7/14 19:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
Fuel standards change with time, aviation fuel went through similar steps to take out most of the lead for instance. Old airplanes with small engines were certified to run on 80/87 octane, bigger ones on 100/130. Both replaced by 100"low lead" which by auto standards still has plenty of lead in it. Can't get the old types anymore, and the 100LL fouls plugs on the little engines (like my old family Cessna) so the big debate is approvals to run car gas in those engines. Of course that is incompatable with the seals and gaskets, so then that leads to problems. And ethanol gas is worse for that, and actually doesn't qualify for aviation use at all. Oh, the humanity!

So I clean my plugs more often, and life goes on. And it will with our old cars too, heck I bet even ethanol gas is better quality fuel than what they had when they were new. It's just the hassle of updating seals, o-rings, gaskets etc. but that stuff needs to be renewed anyway, so at some point the bullet is going to be bit.

Posted on: 2015/7/14 22:27
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved