Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
33 user(s) are online (28 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 33

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 10 »

!956 Power window electric motor
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Nevada56Hudson
See User information
Hi,
Have a 1956 Hudson Hornet with full, 12 volt electric windows. The right front electric motor went out, and sent it to Hydro-electric in Florida, and they couldn't fix it. The motor was burned up and the armature was broken. Since my car was equipped with the Packard 352 v8 and Twin Ultramatic, did early AMC, (Nash & Hudson) use the same vender for their electric window motors as Packard?
As very few of my model was built with this option, I am in a dilemma.

Posted on: 2015/7/22 21:31
 Top  Print   

Re: !956 Power window electric motor
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
No idea if AMC used the same as Packard but the broken armature is sure familiar so it is possible. The Studebaker part of the corporation did not use the same so I expect there were several suppliers a mfg could choose from.

Packard used Delco motors in 55-6. Round, approx 4" diameter with a yellow and black wire. Case is grounded with one wire used for each direction and power fed directly from the switch. New motors are not all that common today but do come up from time to time. More common is finding them used -- both can be fairly expensive though. Shortly after Packards demise Stude was having problems supplying the exact Packard motor so made a kit with a substitute. Those are also somewhat hard to come by today. Even if the motors are the same another variable may be the regulator mounting and the number of teeth on the output drive gear. I believe Packards gear has 9 teeth and has 3 screws thru the gear assy portion holding it to the regulator..

If the Delco motor sounds promising Kanterhttps://www.kanter.com/packard/pac-556.html#4 advertises used is available in Gr 30.3861 and they also come up on ebay from time to time.

One of our posters had his motor and/or switch go out once too many times so finally resorted to changing out the entire setup. He used a modern universal street rod type power window assy. It took a bit of fabrication making a plate to mount the new assy and some relays to be able to use the original switch but from all reports has worked well.

Posted on: 2015/7/22 22:18
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
The big problem was Delco eliminated a bushing at the beginning of the worm gear. The guy from central U.S. would make bushings to fit and solved that problem. He died not long ago - can't think of his name right now. If you look at the casting you can see where the bushing should go.
If the shaft is broken, it's too late.

The Stude replacement motors had separate circuit breakers.

Posted on: 2015/7/22 22:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanddoc
See User information
I don't like to say this but in some cases
especially when parts are getting hard to find
it's time to use another part. Now Packard either made
all their parts or had them made by Autolite or
Delco Remy. I would start looking into the
Hot Rod industry for window lifts. Or even some
GM cars from the 80's had a single support instead of
the scissors lifts.
BTW any motor can be rewound.
Best

Posted on: 2015/7/23 13:42
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Nevada56Hudson
See User information
Ok, had a friend take it to the PI swap meet, and identified it it is a Delco 12volt Right front, same as '55-56 Packards.
But none were there, so still looking.

Posted on: 2016/2/18 13:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Here's what I did on my 1955 Patrician:

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=14321&forum=12

It's a generic hot rod kit, so it should work on your Hudson.

Craig

Posted on: 2016/2/18 14:00
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There was a poster some time back that mentioned a Jaguar motor that would retrofit but had no further info as to specifics. If he is still posting maybe there is some info still to be had.

Another poster mentioned a Ford 9 tooth pinion motor could work. I've looked at photos and there are any number of Ford 9 tooth motors but mounting is different than Packard. There would seem to be a possibility of making an adapter plate to relocate screw holes for a few of them. GM also used 9 tooth on some models and that might be another possibility.

If anyone has access to a junkyard with motors already pulled it might be worth a look to see if something is close. Electrical would be different and would need a change. That should be minor details by adding a couple of relays.

As Craig just posted, he had issues with motors failing and being expensive to replace. He has already done the work of adapting a modern universal street rod setup in place of the Packard regulator and motor and added a couple of relays so his car could keep the original switch. If no motor replacement possibilities fall out of the sky a universal route might be an option to get working windows again.

Posted on: 2016/2/18 14:20
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
Jacks Auto Ranch, Oconomowoc, WI has a '56 400 with all 4 motors in it. I was gonna grab them but it would be a good deal of work.
They ship so have at it!
(They also have a complete '55 Hudson 4 door, 6 Cyl. 3 Speed OD)

Posted on: 2016/2/18 21:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
I agree that replacing a No-Op electric motor with an Op one is easier than doing what I did, but not by much, IMO. My concern at this point is: how long is the replacement used motor going to last given that it is 60YO? One still has to remove the door handle, switch, door panel, glass and regulator assembly to swap the motor. Once you've got everything out of there anyway, why not just upgrade to a modern one?

BTW, both of the original REAR electric motors in my 1955 Pat (4-door) are No-Op, but that's not a big problem for me at this time. After I get my Panther Project completed, I'll do a mini-restore on my Pat and swap in the same aftermarket electric lift kits that I have in the front. Then the problem will be solved all the way around.

Craig

Posted on: 2016/2/19 6:33
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Nevada56Hudson
See User information
Thanks for the help.On this car, it is easy to R&R the door panel and hardware, but to install the aftermarket setup, which would work better in the long run, is beyond my capability.Finding some shop to install it, would be very difficult, if possible, and would be very cost prohibitive.

Posted on: 2016/2/19 10:51
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 ... 10 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved