Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
56 user(s) are online (42 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 56

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Automotive Driving Museum
Home away from home
Home away from home

sanddoc
See User information
Hello All
My friend and I went to the Automotive Driving Museum
in El Segundo, CA to attend a " Woodies" picnic.
We then toured the Museum, and I was so surprised to
see so many Packard's in under one roof
It's a $10 entry fee, I didn't count how many car's
were displayed, or have often they might rotate them.
But it was worth the time and money.
Best
Dave

610 Lairport St, El Segundo, CA 90245
(310) 909-0950

Posted on: 2015/7/25 11:53
 Top  Print   

Re: Automotive Driving Museum
Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
It is fair and not exaggerated to be

Quote:
... surprised to see so many Packard's in under one roof...

The website -> www.automobiledrivingmuseum.org lists

1936 Packard Roadster
1951 Packard Police Car
1953 Packard Patrician
1946 Packard Clipper
1955 Packard Caribbean
1932 Packard 900 Coupe
1937 Packard V12
1936 Packard Standard 8 Roadster 1401
1928 Packard Speedster
1927 Packard
1916 Packard Twin Six Convertible

And a stunning series of events:

"...Our fleet is fueled and ready to go! Each Sunday we select three cars and provide rides for our guests..."

<iframe width="500" height="281" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rNVEBRwL8k0?rel=0&controls=0&showinfo=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Posted on: 2015/7/25 13:39
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Unless it was the chiefs car, I just can't see that 51 Packard as being typical police car material. It must have been one rich town to afford a Packard instead of something in the Ford, Chevy or Plymouth range. I remember seeing photos of lots of those cars along with a few Nashes and Studes as police vehicles but not many Packards.

Posted on: 2015/7/25 13:48
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

DrewLA
See User information
Indeed, the 1951 Packard 300 we have was not a police car to begin with. We had a nice driving car that needed a paint job, so we thought it would be fun to make it into a police car. The museum's curator, Earl Rubenstein (also a trustee emeritus of PAC), found all the parts at swap meets and had the car turned into a Secret Service car. Earl took the car on the Packard Club All-Western Region tour last year-- it made quite the splash both on and off the highway, and like a Packard should, it made the 800 mile round trip without any issues whatsoever.

Posted on: 2015/7/26 9:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
My memmory a bit hazey but El Segundo also had Nash Assembly line during the 1930's to 1953 time frame??? Any reminants of the El segundo Nash factory on display at the museum???

Posted on: 2015/7/26 10:35
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

Back in the day in small towns, frequently the police officer supplied his own car, billed the town for mileage and maintenance in addition to his policeman pay. True, they usually drove a Chevy, Ford or Plymouth but even Studebakers and Ramblers were in service in places. At least a couple communities here had constabulary driving the base-model Pontiac and Mercury for police cruisers. Some village sixty years ago might have been protected by a constable patrolling in his black 200 or 300, stick with overdrive.

Steve

P.S. Wonder how I could plan a visit to coincide with the day they'd sport me around in that '41 180 LeBaron Sport Brougham......?

Addendum for PackardV8:

"My memory a bit hazy but El Segundo also had Nash Assembly line during the 1930's to 1953 time frame??"

Patrick Foster wrote in American Motors: The Last Independent, page 18 "At the end of 1955, American Motors reported that it had closed its West Coast plant at El Segundo, California, and later solid it as surplus in 1956."

Posted on: 2015/7/26 10:46
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved