Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
108 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 107

29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Starter Solinoid 356 connections
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Lauren R Lampi
See User information
I'm working on replacing and lifter inserts in the hydraulic lifters in the 356 engine on my 47 custom supper clipper.
I found a "remoter starter button" with a 3 foot cord in the back of a tool drawer. Has two insulated clips to connect to started terminals.
Question for today........... which terminals on the starter solenoid do I connect the remoter starter button
on to. The solenoid has four terminals. The lower two larger ones on the solenoid are : inboard terminal connects to started case.
the outboard lower terminal is for battery power input.
The two smaller upper terminals are the ones that I suspect should be the terminals to connect the remote starter button to. Would this be correct.

Lauren R Lampi
Grand Rapids, Minnesota

Posted on: 2015/8/11 9:37
Lauren R Lampi
Grand Rapids, Minn.
 Top  Print 

Re: Starter Solinoid 356 connections
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If memory serves, it's one of the small terminals on the solenoid back to a power source, for example the hot battery cable lug on the solenoid.

Posted on: 2015/8/11 9:46
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The two small terminals on top are the starter terminals but all they do is connect to a relay coil. If your remote starter is just a pushbutton with two wires and you are only looking to bump the starter I would place the two clips on the starter switch at the carb. Disable the spark, turn the key on and pushing the button will be the same as stepping on the accelerator except there won't be any gas squirting in the carb.

If you do want to go to the starter solenoid then it gets more complicated. One of the wires on the screws comes from the carb switch and if the key is on supplies 6v when the accelerator is pressed. If the car is stock, on a 356 engine there is a starter safety circuit and the other wire comes from the A terminal of voltage regulator and ground to the relay is provided thru the generator. In some cases that starter safety circuit is disabled and ground is connected directly to the other screw.

To use the remote starter at the solenoid and not need the key on, to make it easy and not have to identify wires you can remove both wires from the screws. Connect the remote switch so one clip is on the large bat terminal and the other clip to one small screw on the solenoid. Connect the other small screw to ground. If you're working on lifters and switch cable is only 3' long you may want a longer cable if you connect to the solenoid.

Posted on: 2015/8/11 9:58
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
HH56, I never grounded the other terminal to use a jumper switch to activate the starter.

Posted on: 2015/8/11 15:57
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
HH56, I never grounded the other terminal to use a jumper switch to activate the starter.

Am assuming both screws had something connected to them and somehow there was a ground on one of the terminals. If there was only the remote switch connected and a bare terminal I can't tell you how it operated without a ground unless someone did something internally.

For anyone who is interested, here is the schematic of the solenoid. The ground in the illustration they show going to the one screw terminal for the relay is not there in actual fact. Just the two screws exiting via holes in rubber bushings to isolate them from the sheet metal housing. There has to be a wire providing a ground either thru the generator if a stock 356 install or directly if the safety circuit has been eliminated per a service letter article. .

They used the same setup on the 356 from shortly after the acc switch appeared or at the start of the 42 models. When that engine was discontinued it appears they still used the same solenoid operation on the senior 51 and 52 models.

Attach file:

jpg  (90.13 KB)
209_55ca661b01fc7.jpg 1167X796 px

jpg  (50.32 KB)
209_55ca6862358bd.jpg 649X667 px

Posted on: 2015/8/11 16:42
Howard
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved