Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
144 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 143

JD in KC, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

What Is Your Engine Start Procedure?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
Just curious to poll each Packard owner to see what is their engine start procedure for the following conditions:

Engine Cold-ish Not Been Run In A Week

Engine Very Cold Not Been Run In A Week

Engine Cold-ish Not Been Run In One Day

Engine Very Cold Not Been Run In One Day

I believe that I have the choke set correctly however I am just curious to see how many pumps of the accelerator is required for each condition.

Posted on: 2015/8/19 22:55
Bill,

Dedicated to keeping the man who owns one on the road!!!
 Top  Print 

Re: What Is Your Engine Start Procedure?
Just popping in
Just popping in

Robert Berry
See User information
Twice to the floor in all instances for my 39!!

Posted on: 2015/8/19 23:50
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Turn the electric fuel pump on, let it pump for about 10-20 seconds, pump accelerator twice and they start right up.

Posted on: 2015/8/20 8:40
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
In all cases you give, I just lightly tap the gas pedal once to set the automatic choke, turn the key and hit the starter - usually starts within 1/2 to 2 revolutions. Same process with either the 34 or the 56.

No electric fuel pumps here, if the car has sat for 14 days or so, I pump the gas pedal lightly to set the choke and then two or three times while it's cranking - starts very quickly. I understand you can't do this on cars with the Carter carburetor starter switch.

Posted on: 2015/8/20 8:50
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
If it's been sitting for a long time [weeks], I'll switch the electric pump on for about 15 seconds. Then I give the accelerator 3 half pumps [a full pump would activate the starter] and then to the floor and she starts right up ... every time. This applies to the '50.

Posted on: 2015/8/20 8:51
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Does the starter engage if the ignition is off????

Posted on: 2015/8/20 10:03
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
When I reinstalled the engine I also installed a glass float bowl filter just prior to the carburetor float. I noticed after the car had sat for 3 days that the fuel in the glass bowl was only about one quarter full. This car does have an electric pump so that makes refilling the carburetor float bowl easy.

It seems that to pump the gas pedal twice with the ignition off and then hold the accelerator pedal all the way down after the second pump, and then turn the ignition switch to the right it seems the car starts up fine.

With a hot engine it seems that pushing the gas pedal down makes it start a bit rich.

Thanks for the suggestions!!!

Posted on: 2015/8/20 10:45
Bill,

Dedicated to keeping the man who owns one on the road!!!
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
With a hot engine it seems that pushing the gas pedal down makes it start a bit rich.

Perhaps so, though if the automatic choke unloader is properly adjusted it should activate at full throttle depression.

Posted on: 2015/8/20 10:57
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

West Peterson wrote:
Does the starter engage if the ignition is off????

No, but then the electric pump is off too. I suppose I could; ignition on, prime, ignition off, pump once to the floor, ignition on, again to the floor to start... but that seems a bit involved.

If the car hasn't been sitting for a week or more, I just get in, turn the key on and start the car. No drama.

Posted on: 2015/8/20 16:37
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Ignition off, one pump, ignition on and floor the pedal ( carb starter switch) and the car is running.

Posted on: 2015/8/20 20:28
[url=h
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved