Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
231 user(s) are online (153 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 231

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

electromatic clutch questions
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

kleroy
See User information
Hi all! I have some questions about the electromatic clutch. First, it was an option right? Second, how long was it used by packard? The reason I ask is my '49 looks like it was equipped with it but I am missing quite a few pieces for it. Also, my car has a 327 from a '53 clipper in it,so i was wondering if that year engine is compatible with the electromatic clutch? I would also get anyones input if it's worth the time and money to try and track down the parts to make a complete unit, or if it's better to remove whats there and run without it? As always, any input is greatly appreciated, thanks!!
Kevin

Posted on: 2015/8/22 22:50
 Top  Print   

Re: electromatic clutch questions
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The Electromatic was introduced on the 41 models and was available separately or more commonly was sold with OD. It was available thru the 23rd series and was discontinued after the Ultramatic came out. The pre and postwar units are quite different in looks and complexity. Postwar units are much simpler both electrically and mechanically.

You might download the training manual "Clutch and Electromatic Clutch" from the literature section to get an idea of the pieces and mountings for the postwar unit. I can't answer the inter-changeability question right off but the later 327 engine was authorized as factory service replacement for the 356 and many of those 356 equipped cars had the EC.

The power cylinder mounts on a bracket to the side of the block. Not sure but possibly the same holes may have been used for the later engines side motor mount but that is one question. Another question is if the threaded holes on the side of the later heads are present. The control valve bracket uses those to mount. You can look at your engine and the photos to get an idea of locations to check.

If the setup will mount then it is an interesting conversation piece. Not many have seen one -- particularly one that is functional so for that reason alone it might be worth the effort. It works reasonably well once the adjustments are made but does require some fussing to get it dialed in to your liking...and there are times you will find it much easier to turn it off and use conventional clutch in spite of Packard's claims of once the engine was started never having to touch the clutch again.

One downside if the car has more than one driver is there is only one set of adjustments. All drivers have to drive in a similar manner or compromise or suffer in silence if they want to use it.

Posted on: 2015/8/22 23:42
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: electromatic clutch questions
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
The electromatic clutch on my dads car works amazingly well. The engagement is amazingly smooth and very surprising that the pedal moves in and out on it's own and all you have to do is move the lever.

Posted on: 2015/8/23 9:40
Bill,

Dedicated to keeping the man who owns one on the road!!!
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved