Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
111 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 111

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

The hood locks 1948 22nd Series
Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
The left hand side locking lever is refusing to lock down the hood - has anyone experienced this please ?

My immediate related problem is that the car is fitted with a carb. with a manual choke and the end connected to the carb. is loose but of course I cannot raise the hood at the carb. side without locking down the left, this interferes with the starting as well of course !!

With the left side raised I can manually push the mechanism backwards into the car with ease but the lever inside refuses to lock up.

Any help/advice appreciated.

Best regards to everyone Michael

Posted on: 2015/8/31 23:05
 Top  Print 

Re: The hood locks 1948 22nd Series
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Michael,
After removing the hood on my 2106, I had some difficulties getting the latches working properly. You might try unlatching both sides and then latching/unlatching each side several times. I think this helps align the hood such that each side might work.
Best of luck,
Mark

Posted on: 2015/9/1 0:04
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Thanks Mark I'll try that next time I'm with the car - she is quite a distance from me and I'm at a stage when I am very busy with a variety of things and then a holiday in France but once I've tried your method I'll report back on the result.

Best regards Michael

Posted on: 2015/9/1 2:36
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Check a couple of other things too. Make sure none of the pins on the fender that locate the hood on the fenders has loosened or moved so the hood is out of alignment with the latch. Look at the latch, spring and pin assy and the area on the hood where the latch clamps. The latch needs to be free to raise in the bracket slightly as it turns to lock down the hood. It also needs to be barely above the fender as it starts to rotate. Make sure the the pin brackets have not been bent downward so the hook is too low and that the pin and the leading edge of the hook is smooth so all can slide freely. Also make sure the small pocket area of the hood is smooth so the latch can slide over into position without catching on a ridge or lip.

Posted on: 2015/9/1 8:18
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Yikes Howard that is a lot of checking - I'll never remember all those points - better make a list.

Thanks a lot - all will be checked and as I said to Mark I'll let you know what the result is, eventually.

All the Best Michael

Posted on: 2015/9/1 9:48
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Got to the car the other day - all the clearance points seem to me to pass the test - but the left hand side will NOT lock, the handle with the cream knob under the dash WILL NOT pull back - it WILL work perfectly with the hood up at that side so one or both of the catches must be crashing into the hood stopping it locking. For the life of me I cannot see any way this can be happening - I have lathered the mechanisms in grease to no avail.

The other thing I can't see is any adjustment points of any sort and this area of the car is rock solid - no chance of bending any part of the fender top or the hood. I honestly can't see how this has happened - just out of the blue !!

I'm well and truly STUCK>

Regards Michael

Posted on: 2015/9/7 10:38
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
With the hood up the latches and mechanism works fine?

Did you have someone in the car moving the lever while you watched the mechanical show from outside?

Is the hood aligned correctly when it lowers (front and back left and right)?

Are the holes in the underside of the hood clear?

With the hood down and centered does it lower completely and is flush with the fender? If so, does the lever move at all (moves a little bit and then stops) or is it stuck in the full forward position?

Posted on: 2015/9/7 10:49
Bill,

Dedicated to keeping the man who owns one on the road!!!
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
What about the pivots for the handle under the dash?

There are 2 steel pins in the handle lever that are pressed into place. I have seen one assembly that had a pin work loose.

Posted on: 2015/9/7 10:53
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Thanks Bill and Brian - big delay in getting back was due to my Wife Libby having a bad fall and suspected pelvis fracture - luckily this turned out to be no fracture but huge trauma to the soft tissues and huge pain, all this just a week before our holidays in the Dordogne area of France - anyways being on holiday it kept her from doing a lot and has helped her in recovery much more than being at home doing all the usual chores. Not yet been to the Packard as your latest suggestions mean I have to have someone with me at the car to move the levers and me to do under the hood observations, also she is very tightly squeezed into a car port with a huge cover over her so the weather has to be fine as well. I'm trying to be with her for this coming weekend and I will then try to get back to you with the results next week. The photo shows her in the carport so you can see how tight it is !!

Best regards Michael

Attach file:

jpg  (140.31 KB)
1329_560d306bc60b1.jpg 958X719 px

Posted on: 2015/10/1 8:04
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
I'll swing on over and help!!!

Bill

Posted on: 2015/10/1 15:34
Bill,

Dedicated to keeping the man who owns one on the road!!!
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved