Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
140 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 137

BigKev, bkazmer, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1934 super 8 points conversion
Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Hi all,
Not been on for a while as everything has been running fine.
Has anyone had any experience with the Chevy points conversion which replaces the North east points, which, I gather, are now rarer than the proverbial Rocking horse manure. Can you also tell me the best way to check the timing after doing the points change.
Many thanks
Terry

Posted on: 2015/9/1 1:34
 Top  Print 

Re: 1934 super 8 points conversion
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The correct NE points are getting hard to find but several sets have surfaced on eBay during the last year, fortunately I've got plenty for my own use. The points in the commonly available conversion kit uses Chrysler points, not Chevrolet. The kit is based on a concept I published many years ago and is available from several vendors. Components shown below.

Nothing complex in doing the ignition timing - you just have to keep in mind that your timing two independent 4 cylinder systems. Easiest way is to synchronize the two sets of points to fire at the correct interval as shown in the Service Letters (my own little gadget based on the tool shown in the service letters is attached) or with a distributor test machine like a Sun. If you don't have access to a Sun distributor machine or a tool like mine for synchronizing the points, you might try this method shown in my reprint (link). If you synchronize the two sets of points you only need to use a timing light for either #1 or #6 cylinder and time with the pointer on the front vibration damper. Otherwise if you haven't synchronized them, then you first time #1 in the usual manner and then switch your timing light to #6 and time that set by removing the distributor cap and adjusting the position of the moveable set of points.

http://www.packardclub.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=864

Attach file:

jpg  (70.67 KB)
177_55e59ef770d42.jpg 1280X857 px

jpg  (168.37 KB)
177_55e5a17cde271.jpg 1280X1128 px

Posted on: 2015/9/1 7:48
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Cheers Dave,
That is a cool tool. I take it that it is in two parts with the piece hanging on the side? Have you any details on it please as I'm sure I could make one?
As always your very helpful self.
Many thanks
Terry

Posted on: 2015/9/2 1:26
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Hi Terry:

The item attached to the shaft is just a pointer, any number of ways to make one. On the item attached to the side of the distributor body the two marks identify the correct firing interval between the two sets of points. Put a piece of paper between one set of points and hook up a small battery and light bulb across the other set; when those points open slide the side piece to index on the pointer, move the paper and bulb to the other set of points, and find that firing point. Adjust the moveable points as required, and take the backlash of the centrifugal advance into consideration, best to only move the shaft by the pointer and not the drive end. And make sure you rotate the distributor cam in its correct direction of rotation.

Here's another adaptation, this one made by Frank Wemple. You might also want to take a look at the factory (Northeast) jig in the service letters and factory tools book for other ideas.

Attach file:

jpg  (88.76 KB)
177_55e6fbb55f4bf.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (122.03 KB)
177_55e700361bcab.jpg 579X1035 px

Posted on: 2015/9/2 8:38
 Top  Print 

false-false
Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved