Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
160 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 160

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Matt's 39 Touring
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

39Pickle
See User information
Just called the radiator shop, my recore is done today! (only took about a month, they had to make up the core in Maine) I have everything ready to go, I shellaced the mating surfaces last night, and went and bought 4 gallons of coolant. I had ordered up a new water pump too, just so I had it, but I probably won't use now that I look at it. It will work on my car for sure, but is different than the original; minor casting differences, no numbers or symbols stamped on it like mine, and it is very pitted looking. Mine has a nice smooth mating surface, as well as hose connection areas. Like I say, if mine don't leak, its staying on, the bearing feels great. Have an exhaust coming too, the one on there now is OK, but is an older ammature job, with the wrong muffler and a leaky manifold connection. Plus it bangs against the underside, despite my finest tie-wire efforts. Will keep everyone posted here!

About the name:
We were driving it home from the Cape in August, my 10 year old son riding shotgun, wife and other two in the chase car. We stopped on Rt. 6 just above the state line for gas and an oil check and a gentleman walked over to look (we had been getting lots of attention at these stops) so he asks what it is, and my son declares (with a good deal of enthusiasm, and totally serious I might add) "Its a 39 pickle!" Well that was it, the car was officially named. They all love it, my youngest just want to get in to play, even the wife likes driving it!

Gotta go, I am after all at "work"

Posted on: 2008/10/21 8:40
 Top  Print 

Re: Matt's 39 Touring
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Checked out your car on the owner registry, looks great! Welcome to the forum.

I bet your radiator re-core was a few bucks. I think half the fun of these cars is doing the work on them, or at least we tell our selves that while we are doing the work.

Great to have another 39 enthusiast here. Keep us posted on your progress.

Jim

Posted on: 2008/10/21 9:34
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Matt,

Terrific that the family's on board, literally and figuratively, and everyone's enjoying the '39. Love the story behind the name, a great anecdote. And looking forward to following your progress here.

Posted on: 2008/10/21 14:00
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

39Pickle
See User information
Well I put it all together, filled it up and the top hose leaks. Looked a little sketchy to me anyway, but I thought it might be OK, it didn't leak before... It's an older flex type anyway, shouldn't too hard to find one of those at an auto parts store, I wouln't think. But then again, I'll let you know how it goes.

Posted on: 2008/10/22 20:07
 Top  Print 

Matt's 39 Touring
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

39Pickle
See User information
Success! (sort of) I ended with a 10" section of 1-3/4" straight hose for the top, which is working well. In the end, I had to install the pump I got from Max Merritt because the original leaked around the shaft. Funny how these old components fail once you start messing with them. I am keeping the original to rebuild someday and put back. We all drove up to the pumpkin patch/orchard on Saturday and it ran really well, but the temp climbed up a little higher than I thought it should a couple times under load. When I had it all apart I checked the water dist. tube, which looked fine, so I'm kind of at a loss on this one. Also, I had to re-torque the pump bolts after, which was a pain, one of the 4 was hidden behind the fan pulley. I don't ever recall ever having to revisit water pump bolts before, but this is my first Packard. All in all, I think if you can go 55 or 60 mph and stay in the 180 degree range you are doing good.

Exhaust system and rear stabilizer are next!

Posted on: 2008/10/28 11:43
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The running temperature should approximate the thermostat value; if it doesn't, there are many other things to look for. If it does, all should be OK. Great idea checking the water distribution tube, it's often overlooked.

Posted on: 2008/10/28 11:54
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

39Pickle
See User information
Owen, now that you mention it, I remember looking into the goose neck and seeing NO thermostat. I think that might actually be part of the problem. I never had anything run any cooler by removing it, unless you had a bigger problem, like a clogged up radiator say. I guess mine was removed a long time ago to compensate for the radiator. Any recommendations on what to put back there, a 160, 180?

Posted on: 2008/10/28 13:16
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Your temperature extremes in Milford CT are about the same as mine in NJ; I use my cars rarely in the winter and hence heater output is not too relevant and do occasional long, hot parades on July 4th so I've opted for the 160 degree and you may wish to do the same though engine efficiency will be a bit improved with the higher thermostat.

I forget what model 39 you have, does it also have a shutter-stat?

Posted on: 2008/10/28 14:03
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

39Pickle
See User information
It's the 39 110, with shutter-stat. I currently have them locked off at about 2/3 open, the stat is a 200 dollar part not exactly at the top of my list. I had it about 1/2 for a while, but opened them up recently, with no apparent change in anything. I'm going to try the 160 thermostat, I probably need the retainer too, no point hauling it apart to find out, so I'll get it before.

Posted on: 2008/10/28 18:19
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

39Pickle
See User information
Should have painted the water pump!

Attach file:

jpg  (124.62 KB)
1040_490c8bb88a5f8.jpg 1280X847 px

Posted on: 2008/11/1 12:03
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved