Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
149 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 147

39Rollson, Plugs1, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 22 »

Re: Packard Monte Carlo
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Guscha -

Because my workload is erratic, I'm not online as much and may not be able to respond in a timely manner.

You can PM me with the results. but it's also fine with me if you would like to post on these concepts, one model at a time, and let us all examine and comment on them. Though I can't speak for others, I will try to be gentle.

The Internet provides access for many people to a lot of information, but there is a lot of misinformation even in the real world about Packard. Frank and open discussion, however, helps us sort out the truth.

Posted on: 2008/10/22 13:15
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Joel -

An open driver's compartment sounds like the car I am thinking of.

I look forward to seeing any pix you have of that car - even from the time of the auction - posted here.

Posted on: 2008/10/22 13:18
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I think some of you are confusing the Monte Carlo with Alvan Macauley Jr.'s "Phantom", built on a 22nd series chassis. It really wasn't a show car but rather his own vehicle for trying different styling ideas and it was much modified over its years with Packard. There was also a pre-war version. But like his "Phamton II" on a reworked 1951 club sedan, these were just playthings for Macauley.

EDIT: One wonders if Macauley really was a force in styling, or just kept on because of his parentage.

Attach file:

jpg  (73.26 KB)
177_48ff7d3fae401.jpg 1280X602 px

Posted on: 2008/10/22 14:21
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kip56
See User information
Another view:

Attach file:

jpg  (39.94 KB)
251_48ff804fb4a82.jpg 750X606 px

Posted on: 2008/10/22 14:34
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks Kip56, it's interesting to note the differences, especially where the hood meets the fenders and the fenders themselves, of the 44 version with the 48 version.

Posted on: 2008/10/22 14:38
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kip56
See User information
I definitely like the hood and fender treatment on the 48. What is really striking to me is the white wheels on the 44 with blackwall tires.

Posted on: 2008/10/22 14:48
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
There was a convertible (53-54), not sure if it was a Caribbean, that showed up at Perrysburg one year. It had an open drivers seat and a completely removanle landau top. It was a homemade job as far as I could tell, but it was done nicely. Perhaps Packards1 remembers who owns that car??

Posted on: 2008/10/22 15:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Page 425 Packard by Dammann & Wren

What Henney did build however were two Monte Carlo models. They were constructed from using tow 1952 Mayfair Hardtops, used1953 trim items. Kelsey Hayes chrome wheels and rear mounted spare. The tops were reworked so the center section was removable, but the solid rear section would remain in Coupe DeVille style. Initially intended as a production model, which would been priced at $ 9100. However, it seems the project stopped with only two cars being completed.

No photos of the Monte Carlo could be found at the time this book went to press.

Some sources say the Monte Carlo was intended to join the Balboa as a show car, but it doesn't appear that they ever went on the show circuit.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2008/10/22 20:05
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kip56
See User information
Similar copy from the Kimes book on Packard pages 554-555

"While the company was deciding on a course of action for the Pan American, Henney's Arbib had busily engaged in yet another project, the Monte Carlo, a conversion from two 1952 Mayfair hardtops which Packard had sent to Henney in early September, complete with 1953 style bumpers, headlight rims, fender and body moldings, deck lid ornaments and grills. The Monte Carlos had wire wheels, exterior spares and hood scoops like the Pan American, but the body speedline was eliminated and the tops were changed to a semi-town car configuration with removable solid panels or fabric over the driver."

No photos provided with the text on these pages.

Interesting there is no mention of the Monte Carlo based on the 23rd series which is the original photo posted by Owen_Dyneto in this email thread.

Posted on: 2008/10/22 20:29
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Here's a picture of the Monte Carlo (II), taken at the Earle C. Anthony dealership in San Francisco in 1953. This photograph has been republished from time to time, too bad the quality isn't better. It doesn't have external spares (plural) as was noted in an older reference source, and the wheels are no doubt Motor Wheel Corporation, not Kelsey Hayes. There is also a frontal view which shows the Caribbean-style air scoop, but with a cormorant (wings down) hood ornament. Frankly, I think it's awkward looking, not enough wheelbase to carry the lines for one thing.

Attach file:

jpg  (112.32 KB)
177_49007bc7a7276.jpg 1280X879 px

Posted on: 2008/10/23 8:28
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 22 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved