Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
156 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 156

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Valve Timing correction for '48 356 Engine
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mike Dowd
See User information
I just replaced a chipped cam follower on my '48 356 cu. in. engine. I did the timing check as described in the shop manual and find that the #8 exhaust valve hydraulic plunger breaks loose at TDC instead of 10 deg after TDC. The crank and cam timing marks are spot-on and the chain is new. I will retard the cam sprocket one tooth and try that. Does anyone have any experience with this issue?

Posted on: 2015/9/8 16:27
 Top  Print 

Re: Valve Timing correction for '48 356 Engine
Home away from home
Home away from home

JT120
See User information
Isn't the spec for the number 1 exhaust valve?

Posted on: 2015/9/8 17:35
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
JT120, correct, but No. 8 is 360 deg from No. 1. in firing order, so the two should be the same.

elwoodp44, what is No. 1 exhaust valve doing?

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/9/8 21:54
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JT120
See User information
JW, you're right, and I thought 1 & 8 should be the same after posting that.

If damper marks are being used as reference to TDC they could be incorrect.

Posted on: 2015/9/8 22:15
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
JT120, I agree, most likely the outer part of the damper has moved and now the timing marks are in an incorrect location.

(o{}o)

One more thing, or the pointer not in proper location.

Posted on: 2015/9/9 9:33
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mike Dowd
See User information
My shop manual says that the #8 exh valve timing is to be used for checking the timing on the hydraulic lifter engines. I looked in another manual to see what the inlet valve timing is supposed to be and noted that it is supposed to open slightly before TDC...I checked my #8 cyl inlet valve and it is starting to open late. (If you had a solid lifter engine with large tappet clearances it seems like this would be the result.)

Now...could the hydraulic lifters not being full of oil have any effect on this? I bled-down all the lifters before re-installing the camshaft. Later in the day I'll pre-oil the engine and fill the crankcase with oil. Then I'll rotate the engine several revolutions to see if I can pump the lifters full of oil. Then I'll recheck the valve timing.

M.

Posted on: 2015/9/9 9:43
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Having just changed one of those dampers yesterday, I can tell you that the timing marks will not move as they are keyed to the crankshaft through the housing. The center part can break free and move, but not the timing marks. If you still have the head off, it is easy enough to see if TDC is TDC.

Posted on: 2015/9/9 9:43
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
As Ross says, the timing marks on the damper can not be out of position. But the pointer can be installed under the wrong set of timing chain cover bolts, seen that quite a few times. But that would make a error of several inches at the damper circumference so not the issue in your case.

Posted on: 2015/9/9 10:48
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mike Dowd
See User information
Pre-oiled the engine and rotated the crankshaft many times. The #8 exh valve now does what it is supposed to do...the lifter for the #8 exh valve 'breaks loose' at 10 deg after TCD.

Using a dial indicator I verified that the TDC indication point on the damper is exactly TDC for the piston. BTW...if you mis-installed the sheet metal indicator on this engine you'd know it immediately.

I'll put the head on this afternoon but that's as far as I will go before next Monday. I've got a BMW motorcycle rally to attend tomorrow at Sipapu Resort near Taos, NM. This afternoon I must prep the motorcycle. Next Monday I'll return to the Packard and should have it running Wednesday or Thursday.

Mike

Posted on: 2015/9/10 13:00
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Mike - Pleased to read you got the problem solved. My comments on the pointer were if it got bent slightly. Your BMW rally should be a great ride.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/9/10 16:10
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved