Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
168 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 167

53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Hose Clamps
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
There was a little discussion on my Project blog in refernce to the hose clamps I used and where I got them.

Here is a complete set up ebay and it has all the correct clamps for both the radiator, and heater hoses. Even the screw-type clamp used on the waterpump inlet.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PACKARD-SPRING-WIRE-HOSE-CLAMP-SET-1951-TO-1956-NOS_W0QQitemZ380074386075QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item380074386075&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C65%3A1%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

Posted on: 2008/10/22 1:35
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Re: Hose Clamps
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Look more closely and you'll see that the screw-type clamp is incorrect. It is actually a double-wire clamp, not the authentic strap design.

The correct style of clamp for the water pump manifold inlet came up in a thread some years ago at the AACA Packard DF. It also got the attention of at least one longstanding AACA member, as it challenged a decades-old judging standard that cars made during a certain period, including our beloved 1951-54 and 1955-56 Packards, use their specified clamp that is nothing like what is shown in the factory references.

I still have pix of the correct style clamp that I posted then, and will post them here, this evening.

Posted on: 2008/10/22 8:38
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Brian,

That double wire clamp is what I have, and is also what is called out in the PI judging guide. In the guide they have a picture from a SC or STB that shows that clamp in place on the water pump inlet which they reference as their proof.

Not sure if the there was a running change at some point during the 51-56 years to something else. But that is what the guide claims is correct.

I am going to look through all the SC's and STB's and see if I can locate that picture.

Stay tuned....

Posted on: 2008/10/22 12:28
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
No offense guys, but to me it seems kinda anal-retentive when you have to discuss the proper type of hose clamp for your cars.

Now I know that there are some people who want it "exactly as the factory made it", but sometimes even the factory didn't do it right.

Posted on: 2008/10/22 12:57
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Eric,

Well we got bored talking about our Cigar lighters, so we moved on to the next shiney thing we saw!

But actually we are just flushing out details to help that person that is looking to do as correct of a job as possible. Not everyone is going to the same level of detail, but if someone does, it's nice to have as correct as possible information, even if it's just on the aggragate level.

Posted on: 2008/10/22 13:47
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Kev -

I must admit that I only know what's correct for the V8s, but Figure 5 in the Radiator and Cooling section (XIV) of the 1955-56 Service Manual clearly shows a metal strap, rather than double-wire.

I didn't examine the 1951-54 service manual, however.

One might try to compare P/Ns between the 55-56 and 51-54 parts books (which I haven't done), but such clamps are often treated as general hardware and may not be identified by specific application.

Glad you brought this up. We can help sort out what's correct not only for the marque, but which year(s) - as opposed to the rather arbitrary and unilateral judging standard of some general club what is correct for our cars.

Posted on: 2008/10/22 13:58
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I am still trying to locate that picture on the water pump inlet clamp, if I cant find it in what I have, then I will just scan the picture from the PI guide.

But I did find this in one of the SCs that shows the spring style clamp being used on the uppper hose:

Attach file:

jpg  (20.35 KB)
1_48ff9573a89d5.jpg 347X504 px

Posted on: 2008/10/22 16:04
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Brian,

I came across this illustration which support syour solid band clamp. Still need to see if I can find a good "real" engine picture.

The 48-54 Service Manual was scanned in a pretty low quality, so it's hard to pic out any details. But I am still looking.

This picture is from the 1952 Salesman Databook. Now I have seen differences between the illustrations and the real photos before, but the illustrator did capture the use of both styles of (spring and solid band) clamps being used.

Attach file:

jpg  (61.06 KB)
1_48ff998f0f6de.jpg 692X620 px

Posted on: 2008/10/22 16:22
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Well I think Brian is right in this regard and the PI Guide is flawed. I stand corrected Unless these pictures are not accurate from the production models. The pictures are from the '52 and '54 Salesmen Databooks (respectively)

Attach file:

jpg  (114.06 KB)
1_48ff9cabbbe8a.jpg 1018X744 px

jpg  (58.10 KB)
1_48ff9cb406412.jpg 924X404 px

Posted on: 2008/10/22 16:36
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I've really enjoyed this thread, especially the quest to be authentic. Very enjoyable! Although Salesman's Data Books are published before production begins and can have a certain amount of artistic license used, in the absence of something like an actual photo of a chassis coming down the production line, I think you'd have to accept it as the best documentation available. Even as has been already pointed out, a correct part# clamp in an original box or envelope wouldn't mean that other functionally equivalent but physically different ones weren't used as well. I'd go with the type pictured in the Data Book and my congratulations on the effort for accuracy. Certainly not the first time that a judging guide was incorrect.

I would still like to see a photo of the style used on the V8 engines, specifically 1956 is someone has it handy.

Posted on: 2008/10/22 17:32
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved