Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
112 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 109

29tons, pmhowe, Karl, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 72 »

Re: Mike's 53 Clipper
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Probably quite a long shot but many old time mechanics kept a collection of input shafts from trashed transmissions for use as alignment tools. I'll bet a lot have also been installed using a broomstick handle or similar adapted to fit. Got a wood lathe?

Posted on: 2010/9/7 17:43
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
I have made my own on a wood lathe. Splines not necessary. In a pinch I have used a wooden dowel built up by wrapping it with tape. Have also seen a mechanic line up the clutch disc "by eye" before tightening the pressure plate.

Posted on: 2010/9/7 18:43
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
Probably quite a long shot but many old time mechanics kept a collection of input shafts from trashed transmissions for use as alignment tools.

That's what my dad did and I've still got his. Luckily, Chevy has the same 10 spline shaft as Packard does, so it works.

Incidentially, most newer clutch kits come with a plastic alignment tool that looks just like a plastic input shaft.

Posted on: 2010/9/7 20:16
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Hmm, if chevy 10 spline 1 1/8 inch fits, I may just get the plastic plug. will make things a little quicker in the garage, and more tools in the toolbox Thanks for the packardinfo!

Posted on: 2010/9/9 16:00
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Well, a few steps forward. I brought the block to the machine shop on friday, and they will measure the bores and make the call on what oversize pistons will go in. Then after I get the pistons here, they will measure the exact piston size, and add the prescribed free play and bore the cylinders accordingly. Anybody know what the piston free play should be?
In german 'tinkering' is called screwing, which is 'schrauben'. My packard work recently has been more 'schrubben' than 'schrauben'. More scrubbing than screwing....I think I have tennis elbow from cleaning away dried grease, grime, bitumen rust protection and paint....
One thing I couldn't get apart was the clutch torsion shaft from the frame. How do I get the shaft out?
I have been using a chemical to remove the rust protector and paint which is working well. I put in on, let it sit for a week, and then use my putty knife to remove the old rust protector and paint. Also removed the steering links to cleann and paint. Guess I need a special tool to take apart the center link, right?
Plan is to be on the road for next sping/summer. Hope I get to oktoberfest someday too.

Attach file:

jpg  (199.02 KB)
657_4c9e696bcf84d.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  (275.61 KB)
657_4c9e69a9e1832.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  (242.03 KB)
657_4c9e6a71a207f.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  (176.65 KB)
657_4c9e6a9eef35d.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2010/9/25 16:35
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Can't tell if already removed but is there a pinch lock on the lever on opposite side of the shaft going to clutch pedal that has to loosen so shaft can come off? There may also be a pin or key of some sort thru lever and shaft. The parts manual also mentions 3.13854 as a retainer, washer. Is there any kind of clip ring in a groove around the shaft that would prevent movement.

Attach file:

jpg  (30.77 KB)
209_4c9e76ebead85.jpg 652X480 px

Posted on: 2010/9/25 17:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Ahh, the language barrier...

Quote:
Tobs:"In german 'tinkering' is called screwing, which is 'schrauben'. My packard work recently has been more 'schrubben' than 'schrauben'."

I'm betting that there was a lot of "schrauben" going on in the back seat of your Packard when it was new.

And I don't mean "tinkering", if you know what I mean..

Posted on: 2010/9/25 22:18
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Under the pinch lever connector is a woodruf key, that I guess has to come out. I'll have to fight with that a little more. The whole thing was really greasy, they didn't forget to grease that fitting!
And I won't comment on the 'schrauben' other than people have told me the leaf springs squeak.

Posted on: 2010/9/28 12:02
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
And I won't comment on the 'schrauben' other than people have told me the leaf springs squeak.

That's why you get a V8 car with Torsion Level man!

Posted on: 2010/9/28 15:18
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
nice project you have here. who ever told you that a painted grill is cheap and truck like needs to be refered to this book:

packard motor cars: 1946-1958 photo archive

in it are several 51-54 models wearing painted outer grill shells with chrome centers. and these are FACTORY Packard produced photos! so if you want to get real picky your painted grill could be considered "correct" even if no 51-54 ever left the factory that way!

Posted on: 2010/9/29 21:46
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 72 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved