Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
138 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 135

BigKev, bkazmer, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

385 Head torque
Just popping in
Just popping in

emrock32
See User information
I was able to look up sequence for a 1931 Packard 42 with a 385 engine. However I was not understanding what torque specs they were giving. Anyone have that info in foot pounds?

I also read to insert bolts dry. No oil or sealer?

Thanks in advance.

Posted on: 2015/10/20 15:38
 Top  Print   

Re: 385 Head torque
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
The most up to date procedure is found in the 38-39 shop manual.

58-60 ft. lbs. for the torque.

They specify grease on the studs and say nothing about using dry threads. Lubricated threads allow for greater clamping force.

I would use Permatex Number 1 on the studs if they are out of the block. This will prevent leakage and corrosion.

Posted on: 2015/10/20 18:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day emrock32,
to PackardInfo, and I invite you to include your '31 Packard in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2015/10/21 0:11
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

emrock32
See User information
I had read on a other forum topic, that the advice for a smaller flat head, was to insert dry. I have all of the bolts out currently.

Now using permatex, would I still be able to re-torque when warm without messing up the sealer used on the threads?

Posted on: 2015/10/21 7:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
Once the sealant on the block end of the stud is dry, it shouldn't allow the stud to move. I just did this job on my '37 115c, and after three re-torques, I had no leakage.

It is imperative that you lube the threads on the nut end of the stud. Measured torque with a torque wrench is a combination of running torque (the force required to overcome the friction inherent in turning the fastener) and the amount of force applied to fastener that then translates into clamping force. Torque specs in industry, even back in the '30s, assume lubricated threads thereby negating much of the running torque. Your head would not be tight enough and could cause a blown head gasket down the road if you installed the nuts and torqued them dry.

Posted on: 2015/10/21 10:07
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

emrock32
See User information
That's what I've always heard. I found it odd that the gentleman said dry. I have always used oil or sealant depending on the jackets underneath. Found it where odd when I saw that they were open to the coolant passages and required no type of sealer or washer for the bolts themselves.

Glad I cleared that up before torquing them down. I am new to building flat motors so I rather second guess myself instead of doing the work for a second time.

They are all in now. I am hoping for good results since the motor was only running on 5 cylinders before I did the valve job on it.

I appreciate the quick, and detailed responses. Saved me hours worth of work and mess later.

-Mark

Posted on: 2015/10/21 11:29
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved