Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
88 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 88

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

What is a "Fuel Compensator"?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
I was reading the 1948 Fact Book (very interesting read) and in the ignition system write up it says "...all Packard engines are equipped with a manually adjusted fuel compensator. This feature makes it easy to suit the spark to the octane rating of the fuel being used..."

Are they talking about the timing adjustment (standard blade screw under the distributor body that one uses to set the ignition advance?

THANKS!!!

Posted on: 2015/11/1 19:37
Bill,

Dedicated to keeping the man who owns one on the road!!!
 Top  Print   

Re: What is a "Fuel Compensator"?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
If it's anything like my 38, the compensator is the plate that is bolted to the block and has the blade screw clamp for the dist. if you look carefully at the forward end of the plate you should find some degree markings. With your timing set you can loosen the bolts and either advance or retard the dist a few degrees as marked in the compensator plate.

Posted on: 2015/11/1 19:49
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
Are they talking about the timing adjustment (standard blade screw under the distributor body that one uses to set the ignition advance?

Yes. Basic initial timing procedure was to set the scale portion in the center or 0 degrees. You would then loosen the nut under the dist and rotate the dist in the clamp to get the initial timing correct. Once that was done and clamp nut tightened then it was a simple task in the future to loosen the visible screw and rotate the few degrees +/- the slot would allow to fine tune things for different gasoline.

Posted on: 2015/11/1 19:51
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
>Yes. Basic initial timing procedure was to set the scale portion in the center or 0 degrees. You would then loosen the nut under the dist and rotate the dist in the clamp to get the initial timing correct. Once that was done and clamp nut tightened then it was a simple task in the future to loosen the visible screw and rotate the few degrees +/- the slot would allow to fine tune things for different gasoline.

THANKS...When I had the distributor out I could clearly see the standard blade screw and the pointer/scale.

I did not see the nut under the distributor you mentioned and Ass-U-Me-d that the screw and scale was the only means of adjusting the dist a slight amount of +/-. So there is a nut under the dist that will allow it to be rotated larger amounts than just the scale?

Posted on: 2015/11/1 20:00
Bill,

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I may have mis spoke when I inferred all the brackets have an adjustment. Probably can't speak for all dists but on mine there is a bracket with a clamp. Looking at the parts books there seems to be several variations of brackets. Perhaps yours does not have the second clamp.

I would think there must be some way to rotate the dist in the bracket because the slots are not very large so really can't provide much adjustment. Some brackets look like there might be a screw in a slot which threads into the base of dist. Loosening might allow the dist to rotate a bit.

The photo shows what I have. The small squarish tab on the left has the degree markings for the fuel compensator and those match up to a stamped line on the block.

Maybe Ross or someone with his experience can elaborate on other types.

Attach file:

jpg  (101.06 KB)
209_5636b98835a86.jpg 1280X852 px

Posted on: 2015/11/1 20:19
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Here is the link to a similar discussion on the Pre-War section pertaining to a 37 Six.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16906&forum=1#threadbottom

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/11/2 10:41
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
Thanks Howard for the picture!!!

Going by memory, my dads car does not have that contraption. It does have a metal scale and a pointer thing.

Posted on: 2015/11/2 10:46
Bill,

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The fuel compensator is simply a way to advance or retard the spark a known number of degrees without having to resort to a timing light.

Posted on: 2015/11/2 10:48
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved