Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
67 user(s) are online (53 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 67

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

plug wires on my Clipper
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Richard France
See User information
Hey guys, What are the best plug wires to use on my 54 Clipper? I put new do it yourself wires on, carbon fibre, is this wrong or should it have the solid metal core type?

Posted on: 2015/11/12 18:37
 Top  Print   

Re: plug wires on my Clipper
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Both types have their advantages and disadvantages. If you're not super-concerned with radio reception I'd go with metal core. If the resultant radio reception is unacceptable I'd go with resistor spark plugs before I'd go with resistor ignition wires.

Posted on: 2015/11/12 19:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
As usual, good advice from Dave. I run metal wires and resistor plugs. Radio reception is acceptable, but I listen to the car much more than I do the radio. I have an AM/FM installed in the glove box.

Posted on: 2015/11/12 23:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
There are two kinds of radio interference generated: (1) ignition which sounds like kind of a popping sound (think of spark plugs being fired) and (2) generator noise which sounds like a frequency generator. Both sounds will vary with engine speed.

Also keep in mind that the noise generated not only affects your radio reception, but that of nearby radios and tvs. Think of your neighbor warming up a vintage vehicle while you are try to watch the morning news, but can't because of interference the nearby vehicle is making. Be a good neighbor.

Suppression condensers on the generator and BAT side of the coil will help with generator noise.

There are many ways to suppress ignition interference, among them are: Resistor rotors, spark plug wires, and spark plugs, but not all of them at the same time. Recommend resistor plugs as the first try.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/11/13 11:01
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Richard France
See User information
Ok. Thank you guys.

Posted on: 2015/11/13 11:05
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved