Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
138 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 136

Ross, John Iaccino, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 11 »

Re: How much demand is there for PV8C oil pump adapter kits?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
If there's anyone on this site that could write a CNC program, Craig would be the one that can.

Posted on: 2008/10/29 20:06
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Yes, that's what i was thinking. What's the problem Craig??? Write the pgm.

Posted on: 2008/10/29 20:25
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
well if you don't make them anymore....then what other choice would i have....a Packard pump is better than no pump...duh!

i wouldn't have much other choice but to rebuild mine.

Posted on: 2008/10/30 0:05
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
well if you don't make them anymore....then what other choice would i have....a Packard pump is better than no pump...duh!

i wouldn't have much other choice but to rebuild mine.

I didn't mean to imply that I don't make them any more. I can still get them expensively made onesey-twosey.

My question for this thread: "is the potential remaining demand enough to justify buying 50 more in one batch?"

There was never a question that the core parts could be produced less expensively per unit by CNC in whatever numbers... until it is time to pony up the up front $$$. I'm the only one who has stepped up in the past and I may have better things to do with my $$$ these days than invest in 50 units of something that may only sell 5 more in its lifetime.

Craig

Posted on: 2008/10/30 0:23
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
One more point...

Anyone interested in investing in this kit, PM me and I'll send you a Paypal invoice for [amount undisclosed, but 4 figures at least]. You pay the invoice and now you are an investor. As soon as 50 units sell, you'll get your cut of the profit.

Any takers?

Craig

Posted on: 2008/10/30 1:42
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Latest testimonial about a week ago:

Craig:

The pump installed with only minor adjustments for clearances. Today, we started the Packard for the first time with the new pump. The engine maintained 20lbs at idle and 50lbs at cruising rpms. It appears that the pump conversion is an unqualified success. Recommend changeover for any Packard V8 owner.

Thanks for your help.

Ernie

==================
This testimonial from a satisfied customer does NOT predict a future demand curve. That's the reason for this thread. It does say that this is a superior product which supplies existing demand.

Craig

Posted on: 2008/11/3 19:04
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
Craig:

I have 2 v-8's that are driven infrequently. while the olds pump conversion sounds like a great idea, I for one would be reluctant to buy one unless I were driving both cars a lot every day. The pumps that are on there now have been adequate for over 89K miles on mine and 65K miles on my wifes car. If the pumps went bad and did not wreck the blocks then I think using the original pumps will do fine for my kind of driving. If it did wreck the blocks, there are enough v-8's around that one could be had cheap enough and rebuilt. For an every day driver or hard driving no question, I would do the conversion. I know that is not particularly what you wanted to hear, but you asked the question and I think you deserved an answer.

ALK

Posted on: 2008/11/4 9:48
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Al. Maybe the pumps have been replaced in your cars before u got them???? Maybe they have Aller or PI pumps in them???

OR, to ask the question a different way. Is there any cause to believe they are the original pumps??? Do they produce adequate vacuum for the wipers????

Posted on: 2008/11/4 11:27
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
AlK,

Thanks for your feedback. It's helpful and I take no offense.

I agree that if your engine is OK right now for whatever reason, then there is no reason to buy the oil pump and adapter kit.

However, many of the guys who have bought this kit have stated up front that they currently have ZERO (0) oil pressure at idle when hot and bad multiple lifter clack on a car all the time so that they rarely drive it. So, this kit is putting Packard V-8s back on the road, whereas they would just be garage queens otherwise.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it." But if it is broke (low/no oil pressure), then this kit fixes it.

Back to the original question: how many V-8s are out there that have this problem and how many owners would spend several hundred dollars for this adapter kit to get their V-8s back on the road?

Craig

Posted on: 2008/11/4 18:08
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I really do appreciate all the effort you put into this. But no interest here, my 56 lifters are always silent and oil pressure at road speeds is 45 (mechanical gauge) and only about 7 psi less at hot idle. Also I have a spare Aller-rebuilt pump set aside for a future engine rebuild should I need it (engine currently has 90,500 miles on it).

Reminds me of my post trying to gauge the interest in OEM-style pistons for the V8 Packards which Dan Kanter was willing to produce, given enough interest. I was so sure there would be a lot of interest, but it was not to be.

Posted on: 2008/11/4 18:23
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 11 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved