Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
114 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 112

JW49, CartRich, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 11 »

Re: How much demand is there for PV8C oil pump adapter kits?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Packard V8 oil pump problem? I can remember back in the early 90's when I helped Brad rebuild the ultramatic in 56 Clipper. The Clipper had over 200,000 miles on it and Brad at 150,000 miles complained that he had to replace the crankshaft because it broke. However as I recall he never mentioned to me having any problems with the oil pump.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2008/11/4 22:05
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Craig writes: "how many V-8s are out there that have this problem and how many owners would spend several hundred dollars for this adapter kit to get their V-8s back on the road?"

The answer to that question IS another question. How many hundreds of dollars will they have to spend for some OTHER oil pump remedy???? As far as i know the only other choices are the Aller pump and the PI pump. Both running about $200 each?????
The PI is NOT a rebuild but rather just a modification. So any wear that existed originaly will still be there after the PI mod. PI ELEMINATES the vacuum pumnp.
According to Aller he rebuilds the pump to "factory specs". What does that mean???? It's only good for 25k to 40K miles????

Yes, there are reports of engines with high mileage and no pump problems. But do they really know what kind of pump (ALler or Pi or NOS or aftermarket rebuild) is in the engine or when it was replaced before they got the car.

ONLY ONE known case of a high mileage pump (w/ KNOWN HISTORy) that has no problems that i know of is BH's fathers car.

Posted on: 2008/11/4 23:06
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
FURHTERMORE:
Anyone can go read the PI write up on the V8 oil pump at the PI web site. There is states that the V8 pump would start sucking air at as low as 25k miles. Seems like PAC had somekind of write up about it too.

SO, many people claiming high mileage cars with no pump problems are not reporting how many miles were on the car BEFORE they got it. How many miles THEY have driven it. Do they know any history about the pump or the engine????

I agree, if it's not broken then don't fix it. Sale of the Olds conversion will depend on those that have one that's broken AND wnats a PERMANANT fix.

Posted on: 2008/11/4 23:17
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
My dad's '56 Exec, which he purchased brand-new, had 74,908 miles on the clock in 1963.

When I first learned of the PI modification, decades ago, I aksed him about lifter noise, and he told me that his car never had any problem with engine noise; in fact, in all those miles and years, he never had the engine opened up for anything.

However, the trans had been rebuilt once by and independent shop (at a time when there was practially no dealer support left). Parts were becoming difficult to find by 1963 - had to scavenge stuff to replace the exhaust. Rust had also set in on the body. All things considered, and with a family of three and another on the way at that time, he parked the car in a field and picked up a new '63 BelAir coupe (with a 283-V8 and three & over manual gerbox).

Posted on: 2008/11/5 14:19
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I do believe there is an oiling issue with some V8s that gives rise to the symptom of unusual lifter noise, which can lead to catastrophic failure of the engine.

Yet, I could never fully buy into the notion that the vac pump cover and/or separator plate actually warped and admitted air into the oil stream.

IMHO, the wear on the driving shaft and oil pump body, as addressed by Bob Aller, is the main culprit, but the lack of an oil channel, as noted by Keith in recent years, is a contributing factor to that.

However, there may be additional issues involved. I'm gonna looking into alternate solutions, but won't have time to make any real progress on that until I get a new garage built to store the old cars (and get out from under the sunk cost of rent) and can return the attached two-car garage to workshop status. Yet, there's a lot of groundwork ahead of even that.

I think the problem can be solved a lot more simply than adapting some other pump.

Posted on: 2008/11/5 14:33
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I've chatted with Dan Kanter several times over the years on this topic. He believes the pump should have a top bushing and doesn't fault the vacuum pump but thinks there is another possible issue which has pretty much escaped attention and is based on the fact that noisy lifters are often overcome by running 1/2 quart over full on the crankcase oil. He believes the oil pump floating intake screen may have it's lower level limit set a bit too high. I did lower mine a bit when I had the pan down.

Posted on: 2008/11/5 14:38
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Owen, did the end tip of the dip stick stike the top of the float any???? Interference on both 5672's i have.

Posted on: 2008/11/5 15:15
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Boy, that's an interesting observation and a good question! Sorry to say I didn't take notice.

Posted on: 2008/11/5 16:03
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
FWIW, I've spent years analyzing the Packard V8 oil pump problems:

1. Yes, as Craig has said, the '55 oil pump is a flawed design. We differ in I feel there IS enough gear area, there just isn't enough bearing area. The big block Mopars with the same deck height use an intermediate bushing at the top of the drive shaft and a longer bearing area in the oil pump The Packard engineers did three design changes to the oiling system. By the time they were finished in late '56, it was good for 100kmiles IF the oil was changed regularly and kept at the full mark. Two of the modifications, the cam spacer/ retainer plate and the dip tube, are easy. The redesigned oil pump with the internal bypass is unobtanium.

2. No, the fixes to the Packard pump are neither easy nor inexpensive. Eric/Craig's Olds conversion cost began this discussion. I tooled up to remanufacture the oil pump with a longer top bearing and a new thick iron bottom plate with a bearing, did a run of six and decided no one would pay $500 for an oil pump.

3. Maybe, there is an easier and less expensive fix than Eric/Craig's Olds conversion or my redesign, but no one has found it yet.

thnx, jack vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Spokane, WA

Posted on: 2008/11/5 20:47
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Because the dipstick is one of the last things installed in a rebuilt engine, I've never noticed. I've got one rebuilt 352" with the pan not yet installed and my truck engine should be going together soon. I'll check both of them before I install the pans.

thnx, jack vine

Posted on: 2008/11/5 22:34
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 11 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved