Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
106 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 105

r1lark, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 »

Re: How much demand is there for PV8C oil pump adapter kits?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Hi, Craig,

FWIW, for today's $300 net cost, fifty of the how many (I have no data; maybe 500?) driven Packard V8s have bought in. Of those with currently clattering lifters (maybe 50 more?) will probably buy in. Of the remaining (maybe 450 more) whose lifters are not clattering my guess is none.

Every meet I go to, there are old cars driving on OLD tires. Tell them the tire is likely to let go and wreck the valuable restored car, maybe kill other people, at the least, ruin an expensive paint job. Next meet, they're still on the OLD tires; big grin, "Got me here again!"

thnx, jack vines

Posted on: 2008/11/10 17:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Owen. I've not been able to find the early cam plate. I'll look again tomorrow. Need to find it anyway.

Posted on: 2008/11/14 23:08
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill
See User information
Craig,
FWIW if seeing V8 Packards at car shows other than ALL Packard events then I would say there is no large demand out there. I personally have one and plan installation this winter. I hav viewed pictures fron hundreds of car shows on the internet, east cost to west coast, and saw less than 5 V8 Packards. I have collected photos of 22 different cars so far, other than Packard, with 56-57 Clipper tail lights so I guess you can say Packard was represented. Boy did they look good. Well that's my 2 cents worth. As Willie would say " On The Road Again".
Bill

Posted on: 2008/11/14 23:50
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Re: Jack and Rowdy's comments.

That's pretty much the way I see it. As I stated before, If I gave these kits away for cost, then I don't think the demand would be any different.

This kit is TOAST, primarily because the demand as been satiated, IMO.

Anybody email if you actually want one and if I get enough emails, then I'll change my mind.

Craig

Posted on: 2008/11/14 23:56
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
I am new to this forum.I have been reading this topic with great interest as I just purchased a 56 Patrician and the lifters like to sing when I am going down the highway.Since this kit is no longer available, what would you suggest I do to remedy this matter?

Posted on: 2008/11/15 8:53
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Dear GTO - what song are your lifters singing? (Sorry, I just couldn't resist). If this car is the one I believe it is, you didn't mention that your engine has a fresh rebuild some 4 or 5 years ago, but no accumulated mileage since then. Do I have the right car? If so, we know the rebuilder was not particularly familiar with Packard V8s, and it's possible he simply reinstalled the existing oil pump without paying any attention to it. My advice would be to stop driving it, verify the accuracy of the oil pressure guage, check the oil pressure at the oil filter inlet with a good mechanical gauge and a hot engine idling, and remove the oil pump for examination and possible rebuild by Bob Aller or someone like that.

Posted on: 2008/11/15 9:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
Owen,you must be a psychic.That is the car.Probably less than 600 miles on it since the rebuild.Although the rebuild included almost all new parts, I was able to verify with the former owner that the old oil pump was not as neither he nor the rebuilder knew of the problems with these pumps.I spoke with Mike Dulinski and he suggested the PI fix.I asked about the Bob Aler pump.He said he does meticulous work but a customer just installed one on his car and it promptly failed.He mentioned that he was able to solve the problem on his car.When I inquired as to how he accomplished this feat, he said he installed a Chrysler 440 CID engine.I don't think that this is the way I want to go.

Posted on: 2008/11/15 10:06
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Perhaps my recollection is incorrect, but I thought that PI just sold a kit to replace the vacuum pump with a base plate, but did not in fact rebuild the pump and that, if needed, you still needed to find someone to do that. PI may have recommendations for that so what's to loose in contacting them?

Posted on: 2008/11/15 10:12
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
Correct.They do not rebuild the pumps.They just modify them.

Posted on: 2008/11/15 10:16
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Hi, GTO,

If everything on a rebuilt engine is to spec, the first two design changes the Packard engineers made will give quiet running and good oil pressure. Craig/Eric are correct in that the Packard pump does wear prematurely and does not have the capacity of the Oldsmobile pump to compensated for wear in other parts of the engine. Your pump may be worn, or you may not have the second design plate/spacer, thus, your lifter noise. Change them both while you are at it.

Quote:
Correct.They do not rebuild the pumps.They just modify them.
On most Packard V8 pumps I have seen, the drive shaft housing bore is the worn part. Often, the gears and the gear cavity are still within spec. Modifying the shaft bore with a longer bushing may be all which is needed to return the pump to service.

Hi, Craig,

Just today, I got an order to rebuild a Packard V8 for a 1956 Studebaker Golden Hawk. He wants the Oldsmobile oil pump instead of the modified Packard pump. Do you have one more kit left?

thnx, jack vines

Posted on: 2008/11/15 10:44
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved