Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
153 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 151

Big Ben, Tom (Packin31), more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1950 (23rd series) ignition lock cylinder removal
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Thad Gegner
See User information
Lost the one key to my 1950 8 sedan. Now I have to remove the lock cylinder from the switch, but I was told one cannot do that without the key. SO I have to remove the switch assembly which contains the lock cylinder so that locksmith can fabricate a new key. Any trick to the removal of the switch? And yes, I'll have many spare keys made!

Posted on: 2015/12/8 15:07
 Top  Print   

Re: 1950 (23rd series) ignition lock cylinder removal
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If it is the stock 23 - 26th series ign switch with a chromed bezel that is somewhat tapered and has a smoothly rounded form it is held in the bezel via spring pressure.

Reach under the dash and push the ignition switch rearward toward the dash and driver. It will be fairly stiff but should move a small amount. While holding the pressure on the switch the bezel will be free to turn. Rotate the bezel one quarter of a turn so an opening in the bezel will line up with a narrowed portion on the neck of the switch and can then be removed.

If it is an earlier 22nd type switch with a bezel that kind of looks like a chrome cylinder having more squared edges and a couple of round depressions on the side, that one just unscrews. It can be quite snug though and sometimes takes a spanner tool to fit in those depressions to provide leverage.

Posted on: 2015/12/8 15:34
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: 1950 (23rd series) ignition lock cylinder removal
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Thad Gegner
See User information
Howard,

Thank you! I really appreciate your advice, which was dead on! My car has the stock tapered bezel. Had a new key made with spares. Again, thank you.

Posted on: 2015/12/16 21:11
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved