Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
155 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 155

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

weatherstriping
Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
my car needs new weatherstriping everywhere. all four doors and the trunk. i am doing a full restoration, but i am not trying to make this thing win at concours. I have an ok budget, but i dont want to overspend.

has anyone used the Kanter weatherstriping? is it worth the money, or could i just get it in rolls from napa? are there better places to get it?

thanks, Mike

Posted on: 2008/10/30 12:27
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print 

Re: weatherstriping
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Kanter's product is Steele Rubber product I believe. He's sometimes a bit cheaper than buying directly from Steele. If you want very good quality, exact or very nearly exact reproduction of the original stuff, Steele either directly or via Kanter is the way to go. If your budget won't allow, I guess there is lots of generic stuff out there that might suffice.

Posted on: 2008/10/30 12:34
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
thanks for the info owen, and as always thanks for the quick reply!!

Posted on: 2008/10/30 12:36
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Second owens recommendation for the weatherstrip but for some items you might also need, check Metro out. They have some things that steele doesn't as well as universal items such as grommets etc.
http://www.metrommp.com/

Posted on: 2008/10/30 12:42
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I am just now swearing at Steele rubber and have to call Kanters because of some problems with the vent window weatherstripping. I will cover it further when I detail the rebuilding of the vent windows.

Posted on: 2008/10/30 14:43
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I called Kanters and talked to Stuart. Steele has metal imbedded in this strip of rubber - Packard part #474352 (GRP 30.4335). I don't know why unless they intended for you to drill out the rivets, discard the original strip of metal and then re-rivet their part to the divisor bar. I guess I'll just cover it with flat black paint.
Another compromise but not much I can do about it. The C-shaped piece that also goes in the vent casting, which DOES have imbedded metal, had one spot where it was not drilled and tapped for a 6-32 screw. Also the screws Steel provided were pan-heads, not flat screws that the casting was designed to accept. If you are doing this job, save all the original screws and put them in their proper holes in the old piece of rubber. That way you will know exactly which screws go where when you go to assemble the new rubber into the casting.

Posted on: 2008/10/30 15:46
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Wonder when they started putting the metal in. That was a complaint when doing the 54 Pacific. The strip had to be glued onto the existing metal and didn't stick for beans.. Just looked at their 54 piece and it appears to also have the metal now as there is no mention of cementing it in. What size are the rivets? Any chance of drilling old out and then tapping the casting for a small filister head screw or similar? I see that Micro Mark has several types, and you being a train guy probably have them all.

Posted on: 2008/10/30 16:39
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Howard, some good suggestions. There is no need to drill the rivets out. I made that mistake on one piece and had to rerivet the strip back to the stainless piece that is fastened to the divisor bar. Weatherstripping cement will hold that strip of rubber in just fine. I'm going to place a strip of wood on top of it and clamp it wth some C-clamps. The rivets don't go into the casting at all, but just into the stainless piece. I would think the 51-54 castings were handled in the same way. I am going to document the steps I went through to have the vent wings rebuilt. I still need to find someone with the clamping glass tool so I can remove the glass from the frame as I want to rechrome it also.

Attach file:

jpg  (95.17 KB)
23_490a47a11fd05.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2008/10/30 17:25
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Randy, thanks for pict. I didn't remember the 54 having that wide of strip though.

Regarding the clamping tool--If you can't find someone with one, could you make your own by using a couple of toggle clamps mounted to a piece of plywood? Looking at the glass, would think 2 spaced 6 inches apart and corresponding pads mounted directly underneath to take the pressure and raise the window a bit would be fairly easy to make and not too expensive. A lever and hook on each end of the frame to grab it would complete the deal.

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/N2DRVSH?PMSECT=0000000485&KNC-T7L391316886

Posted on: 2008/10/30 20:18
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved