Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
261 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 259

TxGoat, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

R-9 overdrive rebuild
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
I got tired of working on my 33 so thought I would rebuild one of my extra R-9s. This on is in bad shape and I will have to replace 1st and 2nd gear on the out put shaft. My question is has anyone removed the pressed on lock and found a way to replace it. I have several sets of extra gears from none OD transmissions. Thanks for any ideas. Dell

Posted on: 2015/12/13 19:26

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: R-9 overdrive rebuild
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Check with Ron Carpenter in Walnut Creek. Last time I was at a PI Membership meet he indicated that there may be someone in Norcal that was re-assembling the mainshafts.

It's easy enough to take them apart as the retaining ring for the gears is relatively soft and can be cut with a cold chisel.

Re-assembly is a different story as the retaining ring must have been originally crimped in place with a heavy press so that it not only served to retain the gears on the shaft but provided a preload for the ball bearings.

I would be very interested in finding a solution as well since I have a collection of bare R9 and R11 mainshafts, loose gears that are good and other shafts with good gears.

Posted on: 2015/12/13 21:55
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved