Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
82 user(s) are online (46 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 81

BDeB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 7 »

PTV's 1951 Packard 200
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I figured I would start a blog on this project. About the project, it is a 1951 Packard 200 4 door sedan. Kind of the bottom of the line for Packard's that year.
This is my first Packard. It has a 288 straight 8 with Ultramatic drive. Has a radio, heater/defroster, backup lights, fender skirts and turn signals. Not much else.
For now I'm just trying to get it somewhat protected for winter. I took some boxes down and sorted out the pieces and swept out the trunk area with a shop vac. I still want to remove the seats and take up the old mat and jute under it. The mat is weather cracked and some of the jute feels damp.
The car has been rear ended sometime back in the mid 50's. I come to find after cleaning up the trunk floor that it is actually a section along with the rear panel taken from another Packard. And the trunk lid also appears to have came from the same car, they are all a pale green color. So there is some work there for me to finish up. The rest of the body seems to be just surface rust so far, no rust outs. I hope the floor is good to.
We received 4.5" of snow yesterday (12th of January), so haven't been able to do much more at this time.
Not sure when the next entry will come, serious work probably will not begin till spring.

Posted on: 2016/1/13 17:57
 Top  Print 

Re: PTV's 1951 Packard 200
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
I'm sure you've found all the applicable project blogs here for info, don't hesitate to ask us for anything you don't see already. And when you find out stuff about your car post it, don't worry about duplication as there might be some details that you found more info on that we can learn from you!

Take lots of pictures, then take more. You won't be sorry later!

Posted on: 2016/1/13 20:56
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
John,

Great to see you're doing a blog on your '51, I'll be following along with interest.

Posted on: 2016/1/13 22:42
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
ptv, Welcome! You have found the best spot to get help on your Packard. Many friendly and knowledgeable folks here ready and willing to help. A project blog is a great way to keep your progress posted and let us know what you need.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2016/1/13 23:01
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
When I get into it, I'll have questions for sure. And I'll get more pictures when the weather improves.
One tid bit I found, was a decent trunk ornament in the stuff in the car. I assume it came on the replacement trunk lid they put on it.
Too bad the outside of the car doesn't reflect the true mileage on the car......

John

Attach file:

jpg  (54.97 KB)
80331_5697a5abb0dcf.jpg 675X1024 px

jpg  (77.43 KB)
80331_5697a5f7e6ee0.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (31.13 KB)
80331_5697a64a8430a.jpg 1024X675 px

Posted on: 2016/1/14 8:45
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
Nice! My trunk ornament is bleached white, no color left and the paint all flaked off inside. Emblemagic shows that they do those, spendy though.

http://www.emblemagic.com

Posted on: 2016/1/14 9:47
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Somewhere on here I was reading about using red nail polish to recolor them with. I had wondered about maybe model paint....
John

Posted on: 2016/1/14 11:36
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you find a paint that works and is glossy looking when viewed thru the plastic there will be many in your debt.

I've tried just about all the commonly available retail paints and while there are many that have brilliant shines looking at the paint directly, all I've tried so far look dull and flat when viewed thru the plastic.

There is a "Mirror Chrome" type paint I recently saw advertised which is supposed to be for painting on the inside of Lexan plastics and those I haven't tried. There are several different colors associated with the product so possibly one of those would be better than the regular enamels and acrylic paints.

Posted on: 2016/1/14 11:56
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
One thing too, is if the plastic is weathered on the outside (fogged). This would dull the look too.
John

Posted on: 2016/1/14 12:38
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I wonder how many years the small hubcaps were the same? This Packard has the "dog dish" hubcaps with trim rings around them. I'm missing one hub cap.
Also wondering if anyone has coated the inside of their thermostat housing to resist further future rusting? Red Clyptal or ?? My housing has a pin hole in the side and a bit of roughness at the top where the hose fits on. I figured I would sandblast it before repairing it.

John

Posted on: 2016/1/18 16:22
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 ... 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved