Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
169 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 168

tuskman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 »

Re: PTV's 1951 Packard 200
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
My thinking exactly Kev. Get a 5 gallon plastic gas can, set it down in the spare tire well and run the hose out through the drain hole in the bottom of the spare tire well.
Save money for sure.... LOL

John

Posted on: 2016/2/21 22:31
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Well, I was thinking a gas can just for tinkering and getting the motor running. Long term, a new tank is required.

Posted on: 2016/2/21 22:40
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Picked up some acetone and a quart of AT fluid yesterday. I'll mix some up and add to the cylinders, see if that gets it turning over the next few weeks.
John

Posted on: 2016/2/24 9:01
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Just make sure to drain in out before you try to spin the motor fully over.

Posted on: 2016/2/24 9:24
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Also, as a warning, when you first try to start it afterwards, do it outside. As she is going to smoke like you wouldn't believe until that penetrator is burned off. Tell the neighbors there is no need to call the fire dept!

Posted on: 2016/2/24 9:26
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I was able to go ahead and add the mixture this morning. The rain stopped and the sun came out. #8 must be at the top of it's stroke, because it didn't take much till it was coming out the plug hole.
I noticed the wire coming from the bottom of the steering column looks like some of the insulation has gone missing. Maybe something had chewed on it at some time. How hard is it to replace the wire down the column?

John

Posted on: 2016/2/24 11:01
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
not hard to replace the horn wire, but you do have to disassemble the horn button etc from the steering wheel. tape or solder a new length of wire to the bottom end and use the original wire to pull it through, then reinstall the horn button end of the wire (electrical connection for grounding the horn relay) to your new wire. I actually used the old horn button end and attach it to the new wire with connectors so I could remove it to remove the steering wheel, as I was on and off a couple times later. just insulate the connection so it doesn't ground and sound the horn when you don't intend that to happen. leave some extra at the bottom end so you can pull the whole shebang out a bit to disconnect your wire if/when you need to remove the steering wheel sometime.

Posted on: 2016/2/24 14:36
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Motor still didn't turn today. I should remove the radiator for easier access to turn it.

John

Posted on: 2016/2/28 16:30
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Tomorrow will be 2 weeks since I tried to turn the motor over. But today I tried again. Still no movement. The #8 cylinder still has the mixture clear full to the plug. It would seem it should have leaked past the rings some by now? Anyway, I suck as much of that out as I could with a suction bulb and added "Blaster" to the cylinders. I also left my ratchet on the front bolt of the crankshaft and placed a bottle jack under the handle on it to keep a bit of pressure on the situation.....

John

Posted on: 2016/3/12 16:32
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
I don't want to be the bearer of bad tidings, but I've seen a few engines so badly frozen up (usually water-to-rust in the cylinder) that with the head(s) and oil pan off, it took a sledge hammer and large drift to break the piston up in order to get it out. I sincerely hope that this not the case with your S-8.

Posted on: 2016/3/12 21:27
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved