Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
241 user(s) are online (147 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 240

Jack Vines, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Battery going dead
Just popping in
Just popping in

Pierre Lemieux
See User information
For some reason my new battery on my 38 Super Eight seems to go dead after a couple of weeks. I am told the battery is charging fine and there is no draw on the battery but something is wrong.

Any thoughts??

Thanks

Pierre

Posted on: 2008/11/1 21:00
 Top  Print   

Re: Battery going dead
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Disconnect the cables and see if it still goes dead. If so, it is definately a bad battery. If not, there must be a draw on the system.
HTH,
John

Posted on: 2008/11/1 21:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Did u have the same problem with the OLD battery???

Posted on: 2008/11/1 21:55
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Unless you have a defective battery, there has to be a current drain somewhere.

Not knowing if your car has one, a common place for a slow drain in later cars is the trunk light. If you have no trunk light, then any small light staying on will draw in the 2-300 mA range and can drain the battery over a week or two.

If the mechanic didn't check with a meter capable of reading down to milliamps, he would never see that small a drain with regular garage equipment. A suggestion would be to get a Volt-Ohm meter capable of reading 5-10 amps. Pull a battery cable and place the meter in series. Just be sure nothing is knowingly on when you connect because any large load (headlights, radio, etc) will damage the meter.

Posted on: 2008/11/1 22:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
The little ball in the trunk light switch was stuck in the ON position and when ever I would forget to disconnect the battery, it would drain it in a few days. I removed the positive cable (hot) and watched closely as I reconnected it. It drew a small spark letting me know that something was drawing current. Because of hydrogen in that area, it is generally not a good practice. I won't tell you how long it took me to peek into the trunk

Posted on: 2008/11/1 22:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Pierre wrote: For some reason my new battery on my 38 Super Eight seems to go dead after a couple of weeks.......

Pierre,

to Packardinfo. Can't help with battery draining problem, but could you please include your '38 Super Eight in the Owner Registry together with a pic, and any known history?

Again,

Posted on: 2008/11/2 1:42
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Pierre Lemieux
See User information
I did have the same problem with the old battery. This one is new. If the key is left in the ignition that seems to have something to do with it maybe.

Posted on: 2008/11/2 9:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As long as in off position, just leaving the key in iqnition should have no effect unless something really strange is going on with your switch. I think you are going to have to monitor with a low reading instrument and disconnect a bit at a time until drain stops and then see what in that circuit is amiss. Any hidden lights or signs of corrosion across two adjacent terminals on something? Another remote possibility would be the brake light switch. If the switch had an internal leak, it may still work but there would be a high resistance current drain through the fluid since the voltage is present on one terminal all the time.

Posted on: 2008/11/2 11:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Another possibiity, though remote, if your car has the same setup as the 36 and back senior cars; the brake light is activated whenever the tranmission is put in park. So if you have the same transmission switch for the brake lights and you're parking with the trans in reverse and the battery connected, the battery will be dead within a few hours.

Posted on: 2008/11/2 12:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
If your car is like the later cars and has a clock. The drain would be intermittent only causing a draw when the clock is being wound. Therefore, it would be easy to miss. If this happens to be correct it is naturally easy to fix. Just take out the clock fuse. Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2008/11/2 15:37
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved