Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
97 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 97

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

On average, how many miles on front brake linings ('47 Super)
Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
There are a lot of variables, terrain, aggressiveness of driving, but wonder at a range, average, of front brake lining life in miles, since they do 70% of the work, given little town, mostly open road adult pleasure use. My car's a '47 Super (senior) sedan, but imagine other models of the '40s, even early '50s, would be approximate yardsticks. Car not driven in hills, etc. Just curious and thanks!

BTW, my retired mechanic and psychiatrist recalls using Bendix linings, installed in the late '70s or '80s at which point the car sat in his shop before i bought it. He's unsure whether riveted or bonded but considering the time he did the work leans toward bonded. The car's been strictly a fair-weather garage queen since.

Posted on: 2016/1/19 18:08
 Top  Print   

Re: On average, how many miles on front brake linings ('47 Super)
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I would expect no less than 20K miles and no more than 40K miles from the FRONT shoes.

However, it could depend on linings. There have been some aftermarket linings available (not if for Packard or not) that are unusualy soft and wear fast. They give a near power brake effect.
IIRC they go by the name of Frioddo or something like that.

Posted on: 2016/1/19 20:54
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
...they go by the name of Frioddo or something like that.

Ferodo is the name you're fishing for, a reasonably well-known source of brake components.

I've got just over 40K miles on my 34 linings and they have appreciably more than half the original thickness left. Of course the car rarely has stops from speeds over 45mph or so and rarely driven in frequent stop and go situations.

Posted on: 2016/1/19 21:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
I have no issue with using the stock Packard drum brakes, especially the later Senior (2in wide) shoes. But as another data point on brakes that is more of an option these days, the disc brake conversion on my 1955 Pat was done in May 2001. 14-1/2 years later, the pads are still not down to the telltales. I'll probably swap them out anyway in the Spring as part of general maintenance.

Craig

Posted on: 2016/1/20 10:26
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved