Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
242 user(s) are online (158 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 240

DaveJr, Peter Packard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

1/23 Snow Storm in the Northeast
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I wonder how everyone is doing from Tennesse, north to Washington DC thru Phila and onwards? Storm warning still up for another 12 hours here in northern NJ but thus far only about 8" of light fluffy snow, none of the predicted 18 to 24" with wind gusts to 50 mph or so. I guess we're wimps these days, back when I was a kid it wasn't a blizzard, it was a snow storm and you put on your ear muffs and galoshes, Pop put the chains on the car, and we all went about life pretty much as usual. Politicians protecting their backsides and wanting to appear proactive no doubt part of it.

Plenty of vintage photos of Packards out in the snow but this one was new to me, perhaps a Waterhouse? With Diplomatic plate.

Attach file:

jpg  (116.85 KB)
177_56a3a60e9940d.jpg 1280X916 px

Posted on: 2016/1/23 11:12
 Top  Print   

Re: 1/23 Snow Storm in the Northeast
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
I guess we're wimps these days, back when I was a kid it wasn't a blizzard, it was a snow storm and you put on your ear muffs and galoshes,

No doubt about it. Almost like comparing yesterdays mechanics working with a dim trouble light in basically a barn with todays mechanics with heated shops and all the trimmings.

I grew up in New Mexico and while there were no big blizzards like in your area and relatively few of what you would call huge storms, we still could get several inches of snow at a time. We survived by doing as you did. As kids we even walked to school on many occasions and had all kinds of fun with the snow along the way.

Looking back, I kind of find it amusing. Locally here in Central Calif the last time it snowed was in 70 or 71. I barely remember it but total was only an inch or two that accumulated overnight. Maybe a few drifts a bit deeper. When morning came there were so many accidents with that little storm some areas closed schools and told people to stay home and off the roads.

Posted on: 2016/1/23 11:31
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
When I was a lad and Shep was a pup. We use to walk uphill both ways going to school in our bare feet.....

John

Posted on: 2016/1/23 12:53
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Yeah and it was two miles there and three miles back.

Posted on: 2016/1/23 14:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

ptv wrote:
When I was a lad and Shep was a pup. We use to walk uphill both ways going to school in our bare feet.....

John

I never did the bare feet and the walk was only a few blocks but according to my parents they both did the bare feet or had worn out shoes and had to do it after milking cows and feeding chickens all while it was still dark. That lecture usually came after we had asked for a ride to school.

They were kids in the early 1900s. Mother grew up on a farm so maybe the livestock and distance but father was a city boy for the most part. According to them each of their schoolhouses was several miles away and their parents did not do the mollycoddling (fathers word) that my brother and I had come to expect by the 50s.

Posted on: 2016/1/23 15:00
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Compared to 70-100 years ago we absolutely are way to nice to our kids these days! And the bad thing is that these days kids give up easy. If it doesn't come easy they quit. I see that with my own kids, and its bugging the living daylight out of me. I also have been repeating a million times to my kids: just because you have money, it doesn't mean you have to spend it. That's another one that bugs me. My grandfather was 6 yrs old and he had to milk 6 cows before he could go to school. And every year he got older he had to milk an extra cow. After school get all the manure and straw out of the barn and load it up the wagon to spread it out in the field. If I have to do all the work that my grandpa did in his 86 years on this earth, I need to live to be 300 years, and I still be very busy every day!

Posted on: 2016/1/23 16:21
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
Is this thread for the storm or bashing the next gens? Ten inches at noon, now about 15 or18. May have 24-27 when it ends. Everyone be safe.
Young folks not putting in the effort? True or just our perception im not sure but I am lucky my kids are putting in the effort just in a different way. College, grad sch etc. now- the fact that a much larger percentage of our young people need the above to get a decent paying job and only start work/ pay tax n ssi at 28 orlater and have a mountain of debt and cant buy a home plus the 18-20 yr olds are working for min wage instead of decent paying union jobs is a topic for another place. Maybe the are smarter- and see the futility. Or maybe its the lead in the water( flint) that our ... Are supplying us?

Posted on: 2016/1/23 18:13
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
2 feet of snow!

Attach file:

jpg  (7.30 KB)
1_56a4125f8d27f.jpg 203X248 px

Posted on: 2016/1/23 18:53
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
We had fair amount of snow spent about 4 hours cleaning snow from my driveway and walks. Also went up the block with snow blower to clean the route my dog and I take. This reminded me when I was younger use a snow shovel to clear away snow now I have gas powered snow blowers. When I looked up and down my street noticed how many people were using snow blowers rather shovels. Glad I have the snow blower I think using shovel would take the fun out of snow removal.
On related matter I have a set of tire chains in the trunk of my Lincoln and a shovel in case the snow tires with studs don't work. Being older I like a backup plan.

Posted on: 2016/1/23 19:04
C:\Users\veron\Desktop\New folder\1956 Packard Caribbean\753.jpg
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Ye Gads. I just watched the news and what is happening to some places on the East coast. Now that is a storm and a half. I hope everyone makes it thru intact. Saw the power lines down in the Carolinas but news didn't say if there is a big ice storm along with the snow and if that has brought down any power lines further north.

Posted on: 2016/1/23 19:42
Howard
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved