Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
105 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 105

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

Manual brake conversion
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Chris R
See User information
Hey guys, My Bendix Treadle Vac on the 53 Sportster needs a rebuild but I'd rather upgrade to a newer dual circuit master cylinder setup. I don't care about adding a booster because of space restraints and would like to mount the manual setup under the floor like the factory did.

I'm wondering if anyone has any pictures or info as to where exactly the factory mounted this setup. I cant for the life of me figure it out due to the cross member in that area. I've looked everywhere for pictures but the only thing I've found is the very hard to make out photo from the factory service manual.

Thanks guys,

-Chris

Posted on: 2016/1/29 2:38
 Top  Print   

Re: Manual brake conversion
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
It mounts right behind the steering box on the frame rail. Take a look at the part plated in the parts manual to see an exploded view of all the parts involved. But it is a cantalevered arrangement.

Posted on: 2016/1/29 9:01
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Easiest would be to find a parts car which would have all the small brackets and pedal pieces needed. No idea if anyone has adapted a modern street rod floor pedal setup. Virtually none of the existing BTV setup would be used.

Attach file:

jpg  (68.37 KB)
209_56ab781582ba4.jpg 878X1106 px

Posted on: 2016/1/29 9:32
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Chris R
See User information
Thank you both very much! That is great info and it really helps me understand where everything is located and how it works. I'll keep this thread updated if I end up going this route with my brake setup.

Thanks again,

-Chris

Posted on: 2016/2/2 1:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I can't remember where I read the article on using a Rambler dual master cylinder, but the jest of the of it was that AMC started using dual cylinders back in the mid 50's, and the master cylinder is still available from NAPA. Here is a remanufactured one for a 57 Hudson, which was a similar sized car.http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Brake-Master-Cylinder-Remfd/_/R-NMBP3081_0358923981

The guy making the conversion made a steel "L" bracket, bolting the master cylinder thru the side holes. Another hole was drilled in front for the rod. Then the bracket was bolted to the frame of the Packard. He then ran new brake lines. I can't remember if he installed a proportioning valve or not. Hope this helps.

I tried doing a search here, but didn't have any luck. Maybe someone will remember where it was.

Posted on: 2016/2/2 12:00
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
That's not a dual port master cylinder on the NAPA site. It only has a single outlet port. But that sure looks like a match to the original Wagner one that is on my car.

Posted on: 2016/2/2 12:09
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
The important details when changing to dual master cylinder is to keep the same bore diameter, if the master cylinder was used on drum or disc brakes ( the residual valve) the location of the lines from master cylinder This is my design for my 57 Clipper started with paper mockup more than satisfied with results. Not like other model Packards but similar in design and type needed to add dual master to under floor standard non power brake. Have more pictures

Attach file:

jpg  (109.07 KB)
252_56b13fd280ed2.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2016/2/2 18:40
C:\Users\veron\Desktop\New folder\1956 Packard Caribbean\753.jpg
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave Brownell
See User information
I may have my model years a bit wrong but AMC, I believe, in 1962 introduced a novel triangulated dual brake system that essentially allowed three vehicle wheels to have hydraulic braking action even if one brake line/hose/wheel cylinder failed catastrophically. They used a new design of master cylinder that fed to two separate lines, each line to the triangle set up of front and rear drums. They were several years ahead of the rest of American manufacturers which didn't have dual systems until model year 1967.

Poor little AMC deserves some credit for several innovations that are still being used today: The single piece textured headliner (1963) that eliminated fabric stretched over metal rods. Also in 1963, they used a single side stamping to better align door placement when the body was built up. Much earlier, AMC was dunking their unitized bodies in "Bonderizing" baths to better guard against rust. IMHO, this was a good try that may have added precious little time to their bodies, but at least they did a bit better than Chrysler with their rust prone bodies that came a few years later.

Just think what Packard could have done with plastic inner fenders and GM's "wind-swept" ventilated rocker panels that came out in the early 1960s. I remember buying a completely rusted out 1958 Ford in 1961 for a hundred bucks. It only had 39,000 miles but the floor fell out later that year and a fender peeled back at 50 mph.

Posted on: 2016/2/2 19:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Which master cylinder did you use? I was thinking of using one like on my 1970 Nova with 4 wheel drums. I would be interested in how you did your brake system.
John

by acolds on 2016/2/2 15:40:04

The important details when changing to dual master cylinder is to keep the same bore diameter, if the master cylinder was used on drum or disc brakes ( the residual valve) the location of the lines from master cylinder This is my design for my 57 Clipper started with paper mockup more than satisfied with results. Not like other model Packards but similar in design and type needed to add dual master to under floor standard non power brake. Have more pictures

Posted on: 2016/2/2 20:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
BIgKev caught me. Here is a dual port master cylinder. Sorry guys!

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Brake-Master-Cylinder-New/_/R-NMAM1843_0498080952

this one is for a 65 Rambler American. AMC had a number of master cylinders that look like they could be used on earlier Packards to get a dual braking system. When I was a kid in high school, driving a 53 300, I had the master cylinder fail me one evening coming home from a date. It cost me about $15 for a new cylinder the next day, thanks to a working hand brake and no hills in west Texas. I don't want to repeat that thrill though!

Posted on: 2016/2/2 22:15
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved