Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
87 user(s) are online (46 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 83

Sherlock, Ozstatman, 64avanti, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Parts Book Questions: Mayfair 300 and Henney
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I have not read the book so not saying it is wrong but saying it is more a matter of opinion. I don't think there is any question Nance tried to upgrade Packard when he came on board but while there may have been some serious attempts to upgrade the 53 convertible and hardtop interior and upholstery to senior status, the exterior and mechanical is still almost identical to the earlier models so in that respect I think it barely moved the needle.

The 51 upgrade to 250 status primarily depended on adding teeth in the grill, a few options becoming standard, and a bit more interior chrome over their more junior siblings and that carried over mostly unchanged for 53. I believe the 53 convertible and HT models got the extra bar on the bumper to make it appear more massive like the bumper in the Patrician and 300 but that is a relatively minor senior change.

IMO, the initial look is still what most people would go by -- or at least I do -- so to me the 53 is still more junior looking compared to the significant changes in the 54s. Add in the top of the line engine for 54 and you have a real senior.

Posted on: 2021/6/14 19:50
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Parts Book Questions: Mayfair 300 and Henney
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Chris R
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
I have not read the book so not saying it is wrong but saying it is more a matter of opinion. I don't think there is any question Nance tried to upgrade Packard when he came on board but while there may have been some serious attempts to upgrade the 53 convertible and hardtop interior and upholstery to senior status, the exterior and mechanical is still almost identical to the earlier models so in that respect I think it barely moved the needle.

The 51 upgrade to 250 status primarily depended on adding teeth in the grill, a few options becoming standard, and a bit more interior chrome over their more junior siblings and that carried over mostly unchanged for 53. I believe the 53 convertible and HT models got the extra bar on the bumper to make it appear more massive like the bumper in the Patrician and 300 but that is a relatively minor senior change.

IMO, the initial look is still what most people would go by -- or at least I do -- so to me the 53 is still more junior looking compared to the significant changes in the 54s. Add in the top of the line engine for 54 and you have a real senior.

With respect, our opinions do not dictate what a car is or isn't. You can choose not to look at these cars as 300 Senior cars if you'd like, but that doesn't mean that they aren't.

With that being said, I do very much agree with you they they are much more similar to the Junior cars than the Seniors, but again, our opinions do not change the fact that Nance changed their designations for 1953.

-Chris

Posted on: 2021/6/16 14:58
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved