Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
165 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 165

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Battery Cable Question
Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Can someone advise me if the correct size battery ground cable on a 41 is 00 ? Many thanks for your help.

Posted on: 2016/2/6 19:42
 Top  Print 

Re: Battery Cable Question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
00 is preferred but was not OEM.

Posted on: 2016/2/6 20:00
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I second the 00. With the battery at a distance away under the seat, to avoid excess voltage drop it helps to have as big a cable as you can fit.

Posted on: 2016/2/6 20:22
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Was 0 OEM? I saw what were advertised as "reproductions" of the '51-'56 cables on one of the wiring sites that were listed as 1 which seemed a bit small, especially for the 6v cars. What size did these cars originally have?

Posted on: 2016/2/6 21:16
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
Count me in the double aught club. I use welding cable to retain some degree of flexibility, and use solder type cast ends that are not crimped. Although I'm not known to drag my battery cables across the garage floor, these cables also feature an abrasion resistant insulation covering that might be of some benefit if the cable touches the chassis. I have not found a source for the flat ground strap in a size anywhere near 2/0, so I use 'round' wire for both cables.
dp

Posted on: 2016/2/7 14:21
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Can't speak for all years and models of Packard but most 6-volt cars used "1" gauge battery cables. For sure go with "0" and especially if your battery is under the floor in the rumble seat as in some senior convertibles I'd say "00" is almost a must. And as DavidPackard points out, don't rely on simple crimped terminal ends.

Posted on: 2016/2/7 14:28
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I also use 00 cable and soldered on fittings on both my 39 and 51 Packard, and they make it much easier to start both cars, even in the cold. Both the hot and ground in 00. Not stock, but easy enough to change out for a show if I need to. Also on the 39, I ran another ground wire from the frame to the engine. Belts and suspenders, but the Packard and I are both happy.

Posted on: 2016/2/7 19:40
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved