Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
102 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 101

CartRich, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: F.I. on an inline 8?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Deskdriver
See User information
I think this is an excellent idea, we have nothing better to do than learn. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't but at least someone is looking. We learn from our experiences and failures.

This technology was not available back then and it may prove beneficial and exciting. At least he's not dropping a small block Chevy with an auto trans and a Ford rear end!

His cost is not my concern but I hope ptv shares his experience(s) with us.

That's my 2 cents and I guess you can ask for some change back.

Posted on: 2016/5/20 20:42
[url=http://packardinf
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
In a technical discussion, using the right terminology is crucial to understanding and agreement.

Quote:
They don't actually squirt mixture into the cylinders do they?

AFAIK, there is no aftermarket direct-into-the-cylinder injection.

Throttle-body-injection (TBI) has one to four low-pressure injectors at the entrance of the manifold where a carb would normally mount; is the least expensive and easiest to install and tune.

Port injection has a higher pressure injector at each intake port down near the head surface.

Very high pressure direct injection into the cylinder was first used in aero engines, then by Mercedes in the 1950s; a timed mechanical injection pump was used. Today, both diesel and spark engines have electromechanical injection direct into the cylinder. It's very expensive, very complicated and not likely to be available as a retrofit any time soon.

jack vines

Posted on: 2016/5/21 10:25
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
One problem I see with the unit I have is it is made for replacement of a single barrel carb. It is rated for up to 300 c.i. motor (Ford). The 288 uses a 2 barrel carb which appears to feed the center 4 cylinders with one half of the carb and the outside (front and rear)cylinders. With what I have I figure it would run rich on the center cylinders and lean on the outside cylinders. On an inline 6 they had some of this problem, on an inline 8 it would be worse.

John

Posted on: 2016/5/21 11:05
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
could you get a 4 barrel intake for an inline 8....they made those right???? then just put on one of the TBI aftermarket units and be done with it. like fitech.com or something.

Posted on: 2016/5/21 12:24
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Am curious about adapters and heat on the FI units.

IIRC, there was mention during modern carb replacement discussions for the V8 that the particular Edelbrock carb under discussion was one of the relatively few carb (and assume FI) systems today that would directly bolt to the older hole pattern without use of an adapter. With the complaints of fuel issues due to the hot exhaust manifold in such close proximity on the S8 wonder how much heat would be an issue with FI. Would an adapter made out of phenolic work better than maybe a metal unit and would extensive heat shielding be needed.

On the S8, conversion to 12v would also be a given but since there is relatively little to no electrical isolation and interference or spike protection on the old components and wiring -- even on V8s -- wonder how that would play with the fuel management unit.

Posted on: 2016/5/21 12:47
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

johntrhodes81
See User information
One big issue you need to remember is that the straight 8 has siamesed intake ports. The first cylinder can "steal" gas from the second, causing lean and rich cylinders. The TBI may not give as much of a problem with this as a Port Injection Setup that doesn't have injector timing capability (many more basic after market EFI's). However I would have a wide band O2 sensor on the 2 exhaust of the siamesed cylinders that fire the closest together. If there is a problem port injection with injector timing capability will likely be your only solution. Megasquirt EFI can do this. The British turbo Mini guys would be a good resource on implementing EFI on a engine with siamesed intake ports.

Regards,
John

Posted on: 2016/6/6 11:48
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
I'm sure they make a 2 barrel throttle body injection for V8 engines, Chev used them on pickup trucks for a number of years. Small block and big block versions. No doubt other makes had them too. Should be easy to find one but will it work with the Holley system?

Posted on: 2016/7/15 13:48
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved