Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
157 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 157

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Electromatic Clutch?
Home away from home
Home away from home

J.R. Buzzell
See User information
Since my 1949 is completely apart and the body is being painted, we have started getting ready to rewire the car. We plan to order a new wiring harness for it, however, I am not sure if it has the electromatic clutch. I believe it does, but I want to make sure. It is a 23rd series car, and while on the subject, where would I go to obtain the most accurate, complete wiring harness for the car?

Posted on: 2016/2/24 0:36
J.R. Buzzell

1949 23rd Series Deluxe Eight Touring Sedan
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/index.php?Action=view&ID=867
 Top  Print 

Re: Electromatic Clutch?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Deskdriver
See User information
I'm still installing mine, also have a '49 23 series. But my car is just a driver and I ran into lots of different problems. Some by me and some by previous owner(s).

Looked at a lot of different companies and I choose Harnesses Unlimited because they make the harness for your car. You need to tell them everything you have even the trunk light.
They answer the phone and are very helpful.

All the best
B.

Posted on: 2016/2/24 1:02
[url=http://packardinf
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The Electromatic Clutch was optional. Frequently it was sold with overdrive but each could be bought separately. If you have all these components on the side of the engine then the car is so equipped and the Electromatic Clutch wiring would be part of the wiring harness.

If you have none or only some of the components then the car does not have EC or at least not working EC so any missing pieces might affect your decision on paying extra for the wiring. Frequently even if a car was originally equipped, when Packard went away the corner mechanics didn't understand the unit or parts were not available so if it failed and was not repaired pieces were removed to better access other items and were not replaced.

Attach file:

jpg  (51.50 KB)
209_56cd47cd78568.jpg 980X756 px

Posted on: 2016/2/24 1:10
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I was very pleased with the wiring harness I obtained from Rhode Island Wire several years ago when restoring my 1947 Super Clipper.

Posted on: 2016/2/24 8:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

J.R. Buzzell
See User information
I will look into both of those companies for sure. And, if my car does not have all of those components, and I chose to reinstall them if there were other parts of it there, would it still work? I will check to see if I have those parts on the engine when I am back at home. They do look familiar.

Posted on: 2016/2/25 0:07
J.R. Buzzell

1949 23rd Series Deluxe Eight Touring Sedan
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/index.php?Action=view&ID=867
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you have some of the pieces then I would go ahead and get the extra wiring incorporated in the new loom in case you did want to resurrect it at some point. It will not function without all the pictured pieces and interconnect tubing. There are some electrical switches also needed. Any missing items can most likely be found -- although some may be more scarce than others. As mentioned, back in the day when it was just an old used car all too often pieces like the power cylinder or cable assy were removed and thrown away if they hindered access to something else.

If you want to get familiar with all the components and interconnections download the training manual which covers the postwar system Clutch and ElectroMatic Clutch from the Service, Shop and Training Manuals category in the literature section.

Posted on: 2016/2/25 10:17
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
What was the last year for the Electromatic Clutch? 1950?

Posted on: 2016/2/25 11:49
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Yes, 1950 was the last. No need for it once Ultramatic was available and accepted by customers.

Posted on: 2016/2/25 12:01
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Interesting that Electromatic had a revival of sorts years later; in 1962 AMC offered something similar in concept (though not in execution) as an option called "E-Stick". I don't think it was very popular, I didn't order it on mine and can't recall ever seeing it on AMC cars of that era.

Posted on: 2016/2/25 12:32
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
VW also had what they called a stickshift automatic. It had a vacuum cylinder that disengaged the clutch to change gears. Though it also had a torque converter in front of the clutch. Maybe more like a Plymouth Hi Drive.
If I remember right the twin stick was 2 levers, one was the 3 spd transmission the other was for the overdrive selection.

Posted on: 2016/2/27 11:49
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved