Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
222 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 220

Ross, 39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Oil Bath Air Cleaner Servicing
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ragtime Kid
See User information
What's the right way to service one of these units and how often does it need to be looked at?

Does the oil need to be changed periodically? Is it just plain engine oil?

Has anyone thought to replace the contents of the airbox with a K&N style filter and does such a thing even exist?

I've got a '41 110 with a Carter carburetor. Does the unit come off just by removing the wing nut on the top cover?

Posted on: 2016/2/24 23:52
 Top  Print   

Re: Oil Bath Air Cleaner Servicing
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If you truly have an "oil bath" filter:

Clean it more often when driving in dusty conditions but normally once every 10,000 miles or so. The owner's manual probably has a specific recommendation.

I clean mine with kerosene or charcoal lighter fluid (less odor). Fill to the mark with SAE 50 motor oil.

Some have converted to a dry filter but the oil bath is more efficient and can tolerate a much higher loading while still maintaining efficiency.

Perhaps I'm wrong and if so someone will come along and correct me but I thought the 110 had an oiled mesh filter, not an oil bath - they are very different both in design and appearance, function, and effectiveness. I believe only the senior engine came with the oil bath air filter. Though from the 24th series literature this illustration will show you the general configuration of the oil bath filter as compared to the simple oiled mesh. Earlier style oiled mesh filters were much taller (a lot more room under the hood).

EDIT: The 1941 110 owner's manual says to clean the air filter every 5,000 miles under normal conditions. I strongly recommend you buy a reprint of the '41 110/120 owner's manual, packed with technical and service information.

Attach file:

jpg  (132.26 KB)
177_56cf16a623d32.jpg 595X1000 px

Posted on: 2016/2/25 8:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Don't know about the '41's air cleaner, but my '37 Six had an oil bath type. I did convert it with a modern pleated paper type filter element. I saved the parts so it can be converted back to it original condition. No permanent changes. Servicing the oil bath or oil mesh air filters is a messy job, but fortunately it only has to be done infrequently.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2016/2/25 10:39
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
JW, do you remember the part number of the filter you used?

Edit: Disregard, more searching turned up Purolator A30052. Crosses to a Napa Gold 2011, which is a Wix 52011.

Posted on: 2016/5/16 21:09
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
Purolator A30057-works on my 47-I got it from John!

Posted on: 2016/5/17 9:02
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved