Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
162 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 159

BigKev, humanpotatohybrid, Jim in Boone, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Cleaning the headliner?
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
What is the best method for cleaning the original cloth headliner in a 1951 Packard? I know originally it was recommended to just use soapy bubbles and dab the headliner.

John

Posted on: 2016/2/25 17:26
 Top  Print 

Re: Cleaning the headliner?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
If it is the original headliner better just leave it alone. My 51 Packard 200 has the original liner and we never make eye contact.

Posted on: 2016/2/25 17:47
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
This old thread might be helpful.

Posted on: 2016/2/25 18:06
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
A very informative link Mal. Thanks
I'll have to do a bit of exploring on this. Mine is intact but looks mighty dirty.

John

Posted on: 2016/2/25 22:21
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Sloride75
See User information
John, please let us know what you decide to do and let us know your results. My headliner is as you describe but I'm terrified of touching it!

Posted on: 2016/2/25 23:18
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Mark, I am too..... John

Posted on: 2016/2/26 8:40
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
What and how much are you cleaning off?
Is it just dust, something discoloring like cigarette smoke stains, water stains, spills, etc? Or is it discolored from heat or light (I called this "toasted)- which you won't remove but may lighten dark areas but won't match overall as some of the damaged nap is removed. But a headliner will see strong temperature from the roof side and maybe worse behind than the underside.
I'm not 100% for this model but would suspect it's a nap cotton which is common in the post war period with the hoop supports.
Depending how sun/heat damaged it is, it might clean without damage but if it easily tears or has tears and isn't pliable, you're probably better off replacing, if its really dirty and you can't live with it.
Vacuum first with light pressure and a soft brush attachment on a strong vacuum to get the loose stuff off. You want to "ripple" the fabric as you sweep across to dislodge dirt. Use a shop vac or vacuum with alot of suction. You are pulling air through the cloth in reverse to dislodge surface particulate. Then use cleaners.
Best to try a small area for the cleaner that's not noticeable, like behind or top side of sunshade, rear c pillar, etc. There's various upholstery cleaners out there.
I've had best luck using Resolve carpet cleaner and Tough Stuff foam upholstery cleaner for most automotive interiors. The resolve is better for spots treatment and the foam for large area/overall cleaning. I use on all types including marine, except leather. No water is used and you blot up what you put on with paper towel or cloth towel. Water based cleaners will loosen/sag the cotton when wet but may dry tight which if it's brittle can tear. These can be used with little pressure, but surface has to withstand the wipe off. Sometimes you can "flood" the stain off with repeated sprays. Usually the resolve will lift most any stain and float it to the surface for easy removal. Repeat as needed.
I don't like steam cleaning for this, but may work if wool. Steam can melt/liquify what's on surface and drive it deeper. But can remove wrinkles after cleaning. Consult a upholstery shop/cleaner or detailer if you care not to try yourself.

Posted on: 2016/3/8 21:54
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Thanks for the tips Jim. The headliner is the cloth type so common in cars of this vintage. Not sure how much is dirt and how much is stain.

John

Posted on: 2016/3/9 11:36
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
I would like to suggest one additional possibility which would be to spray paint the headliner. Many auto paint stores will mix the color you wish and then put it into a spray can for you. I have seen this done and it does not put any pressure on the headliner and in the two cases, it made the headliner look much better than it did before. Ernie, caretaker of 'Miss Prudence' a 1949 deluxe.

Posted on: 2016/3/9 12:47
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Hmmm, I've heard of coloring vinyl. I take it, it is a special type of paint?

Posted on: 2016/3/9 19:55
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved