Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
83 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 83

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Teaching someone to drive a 55 Pat.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Background:
I have a female roomate/friend/ex-wife#3 living with me now. She moved out to NV from TX in mid-Sept 2015 without incident driving a U-Haul truck the 1,100Mi distance over 3 days. Unfortunately, 12 hours after safely arriving, she broke her left ankle (distal ends of the tibia & fibula). You don't ever want to do this if you value your mobility. She was in the hospital in Vegas for two weeks and a rehab facility in Vegas for four weeks, finally getting her cast off 2 months after her injury. It's taken her another six weeks to get good mobility back. She also finally got her NV DL.

Current situation:
I'm tired of driving her around in my 55 Pat (only car I have currently derivable), even though it's not that often. So, I agreed to let her drive Pat on her own if she was properly instructed and practiced. Her attitude was "Hey, it's just a car, how hard can it be? I've been driving for XX years." We all know that mid-50s cars are not the same as modern cars, particularly Packards. The earlier you go, the more difference there is. Besides, as I told her: "A Packard is not merely a car (essentially an appliance), it is an AUTOMOBILE."

So today I gave her lesson #1 which was a "classroom" situation. This lesson was given by me while she was siting in the driver side front seat. You can imagine how that went, particularly discussion about Packard-unique controls like the T-L switch (also a manual control in my case) or unique things on my Pat like the re-positioned brake pedal. I also gave her a genuine 1955 Packard "Owner's Manual" for a reading assignment. There will be a verbal quiz later with lesson #2 tomorrow.

This may seem pedantic and perhaps extreme to some, but it's the way I'm doing it. She doesn't mind because the reward is large enough for her to put up with any perceived BS by me.

My question for you guys is: What have you done when teaching someone how to drive your Packard?

Craig

Posted on: 2016/2/27 16:35
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Re: Teaching someone to drive a 55 Pat.
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
It is against the law for women to drive Packard cars.
John

Posted on: 2016/2/27 16:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Too funny PTV

Posted on: 2016/2/27 18:45
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

ptv wrote:
It is against the law for women to drive Packard cars.
John

Somehow... I think Margaret Dunning would have disagreed.

Posted on: 2016/2/28 9:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Margaret Dunning was a Lady (with a capital "L")

Posted on: 2016/2/28 10:14
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Here's a picture of the lucky lady thinking she is driving Pat. In actuality, she's only had one classroom lesson, but scored 90% on the verbal test afterwards.

Resized Image

She posted the above pic and a couple of others on her Facebook page and had 32 "likes" within a few hours.

Posted on: 2016/2/29 2:23
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ken Hill
See User information
I may doing the same thing soon teaching my daughter how to drive my '56 Clipper.

Posted on: 2016/3/4 16:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
crack up,,,but agree,,

Posted on: 2016/3/4 18:55
Riki
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Vesiapina
See User information
My girlfriend doesn't have a driving licence yet, but I'm going to teach her this summer how to drive my 400 in a closed area. Hopefully it'll inspire her to get a driving licence. :)

Posted on: 2016/3/5 7:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
My daughter and youngest son learned driving a car in my Clipper 56 Twin Ultramatic - without damaging anything! It all depends on the driving instructor

Tom

Posted on: 2016/3/5 7:33
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved