Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
152 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 150

BigKev, Alvin14, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Buyer's advice requested: 1952 200 Deluxe
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob E.
See User information
Hi,
I hope to join the owner's club soon. On Friday, I am looking at a 1952 and the pictures look like it is a 200 Deluxe touring sedan. Any advice on what I should give special attention to? any notorious weak spots that would make a rebuild much harder or expensive??
the engine runs off a bottle (owner doesn't want to run through the gas tank as it is supposedly a "barn find.") but master cylinder is frozen so he hasn't put it into gear etc.

any suggestions to help me not buy a car that is not worth restoring would be very much appreciated.

thank you
Bob

Posted on: 2016/3/1 13:20
Bob
1955 Packard Patrician
Sapphire Blue
 Top  Print 

Re: Buyer's advice requested: 1952 200 Deluxe
Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
You are right to note that this is a model that is real easy to get upside down with financially. If it's an Ultramatic, a good rebuilt is expensive. Likewise, if the original interior is bad, a correct reupholstery job in wool is expensive. So those would be my top items

Posted on: 2016/3/1 14:04
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good afternoon...If at all possible, go and see the car or pay to have it evaluated. Owen may check in soon and perhaps make a recommendation for someone to look at the car if you can't. There can be way too many slips between the cup and the lip. Welcome to the forum and good luck. Ernie

Posted on: 2016/3/1 14:06
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Not to dissuade you, that vintage Packard can be a very reliable touring car and give you countless hours of enjoyment. But keep in mind that its near the bottom of the line car and doesn't have a lot of upside value potential, thus not a lot of room for investment to stay above water. Probably just a good quality paint job would put you under water unless you were able to do it yourself. And of course when you say "restoring", that can mean most anything up to and including an all-out return to original condition which might cost you 5 or more times what the car could bring when finished.

So....either (1) modify your idea of restoration to something more commensurate with the value of the car, something practical like a road-worthy fun touring car, or (2) go into it because you love the car don't expect to recover what you invest, or (3) look for a model with more upside value potential.

You say this will be your first Packard, congratulations on that. The 51-54 models are fairly plentiful in all kinds of conditions and prices, so shop a bit before you jump and keep asking for advice.

Join The Packard Club (packardclub.org) and you'll get a membership directory. Gobs of PAC members in Texas and I'm confident you'll find several in your area willing to go look at the car for you. Someone on this forum may come forward with the same offer. Good luck!

Posted on: 2016/3/1 14:34
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
Someone told me early on-it costs about the same to restore a car with a pedigree as one without. I would look for one that is running/driveable/stops-then start looking at chrome/interior/paint etc. Also great help if you can do some of the work yourself-these cars are simple-but the parts can be heavy!!

Posted on: 2016/3/1 14:47
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Bob(kbess1107),
to PackardInfo.

Wishing you well with your proposed Packard purchase, and invite you to include it in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2016/3/1 18:11
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob E.
See User information
Well that was a lot less of an enthusiastic response than I had expected. But I appreciate the honest feedback and advice from those that know.

Here is a little more info that may help:

The owner is asking $4500. I can do a lot of the work myself if parts are available. But I can't do a paint job or any machining on the engine if it needed it. It's a manual transmission and interior/exterior look to be in good shape. Owner claims "floor pans and trunk pans are really good" and that engine and body numbers match. Not looking to turn it into a show car or but don't want to spend $20K on a 10K car either.

What would an interior update cost or engine rebuild?

thank you

Attach file:

jpg  (1.24 KB)
120663_56d622f56e6a1.jpg 50X50 px

jpg  (1.13 KB)
120663_56d62307ae5a5.jpg 50X50 px

jpg  (1.26 KB)
120663_56d623f2e946f.jpg 50X50 px

Posted on: 2016/3/1 18:21
Bob
1955 Packard Patrician
Sapphire Blue
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
Hi Bob, been there, doing that. Everything depends on what you want to get out of the project - a fun hobby and a nice hole to throw money into, or a concours restoration and investment vehicle. You won't get the second option with a '52, but you can certainly have a fun hobby with one.

Parts are easy to come by, details are expensive like any of them - bodywork, interior, and chrome all cost $$$. Depends on the level you want to bring it to as to how many $$$.

check for rusted floorboards and trunk floor, rocker panels under the doors, and rear fender areas.

a new gas tank and sender kit is about $450 or so, plan on that. Plan on all new brake lines, master cylinder, and wheel cylinders because the old fluid likely turned to jelly and rust. Brake stuff isn't that expensive really, think Rock Auto. things like fuel pumps and water pumps can be sent out for rebuild for around $150 each. I'll bet all the wiring in the car is trash, you can spend $300 for a generic wire harness or $1500 for a restoration quality setup. All depends on the level you want to attain.

getting any chrome redone is huge, I got a quote of $4500 just for the grille. All the trim along the sides and around the windows is stainless so that won't need to be redone at least. The windshield was only '51-52, so that is a bit scarce but I know where one is if you need it.

try for a car with the least that needs to be done now to enjoy it, then you can at least fix it up as you go. Avoid a total project unless of course that's what you want - my car for instance is that but it's a family car so sentimental value.

good luck on your quest!

Posted on: 2016/3/1 19:00
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Looks like the '52 Packard in this post?

Posted on: 2016/3/1 19:01
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob E.
See User information
yes, it is the same. The owner says it is a '52 Patrician automatic. But looking at the pictures it looks like the 200 deluxe, manual to me (hence the clutch pedal). Asked the owner a few times to send me the VIN (or equivalent) and he agreed but hasnt yet. Not sure if he knows better or just hasnt spent the time on Google to be sure what he is selling. I hope to see this in person Friday or Saturday. My goal is to get a car that with a little bit of work I can get working and driving. Fuel tanks, brake work etc do not phase me at all. Once I get it running then I like the idea of fixing it up as time goes on system by system so I can enjoy the car. I am not looking for a total restoration tear down as I will probably lose motivation after a while.

thanks!!

Posted on: 2016/3/1 23:28
Bob
1955 Packard Patrician
Sapphire Blue
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

false-false
Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved