Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
98 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 97

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Power Antenna
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Walter Schoepf
See User information
does anyone know how to disassemble a power antenna so as to replace the mast? Any help is appreciated,
thanks Walter

Posted on: 2016/3/26 15:53
 Top  Print 

Re: Power Antenna
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Depends on fender or rear antenna. Here are some instructions on the 51-4 fender unit.http://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SC-VOL25NO8.pdf 55-6 fender antennas are similar in the way they come apart but some mechanical details are different. 55-6 rear antennas are completely different and don't recall seeing any factory service instructions on those right off.

Out of curiosity do you have new masts or have found a source for them? Replacing broken masts is a question that comes up on the forum from time to time.

Posted on: 2016/3/26 16:21
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Walter Schoepf
See User information
yes, I have found a source for one.... :) I know they are hard to come by....
I have stared to take the assembly apart... the drum that holds the plastic pushrod .... but I don't want to force anything to do some damage... there is a rubber where the antenna comes out .... sort of slipped into the tube that holds the antenna when retracted... it is covered by the nut that screws to the top when on the fender...
Hope for some hints how to proceed to take the old and broken mast off... mine is broken at the base...
Walter

Posted on: 2016/3/26 16:24
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Walter Schoepf
See User information
I do have the handbook for maintenance.. but there is not instructions on how to take the antenna apart... by the way ... mine is rear fender.... 1955 Caribbean
Walter

Posted on: 2016/3/26 16:30
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
It is important to remember that the 1955 and 1956 Caribbean rear-mounted antennae are very, very different from a front fender-mounted antenna.

The masts are different. The reels and rack ropes are different (rears are round; fronts are flat!). The housings are different. The bases are different. Etc.etc.

Most of the replacements I have ever seen done on Caribbeans have been incorrect and are usually "repaired" with front antenna masts. Owners of the cars usually seem oblivious to the differences... yet you can tell right right away. The cap nut and lower mast section were made completely different and are quite obvious to the eye.

A real original Caribbean antenna mast has a single ring pressed into the mast. Front antenna lower sections have two.

So if you are replacing a mast, it is a good idea to see what you are using to replace it.

Posted on: 2016/3/26 20:15
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Walter Schoepf
See User information
thanks for the hints on the type of antenna used. I am somewhat familiar with that, just not sure how to take the unit apart so to replace the mast. I have opened the round drum (Reel) and extended the broken mast to its max. But the round nylon rope is held in place by the wheel that clamps the rope. My question is how do I get that wheel out so I can get the mast replaced. I mean I need some tips of how to proceed as I do not want to force anything.
Walter

Posted on: 2016/3/28 20:38
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here are a few photos of an antenna disassembled. Note that I have no idea what the proper name for each piece might be so I made up my own.

I believe the part you are asking about is removing the drive cable from the reel assy.

First photo shows the assy with protective cover off, reel cover exposed and then second is the reel cover removed. You can see a nylon cable retainer with multiple springs pressing the cable tightly into the slots of reel drive.

Third and fourth photos are showing the retainer partially removed and the use of a small screwdriver to GENTLY pry the retainer up and away from reel drive. Note that the retainer can be brittle and springs are not attached and will go flying when tension is released. Work slowly not to force the nylon and corral the springs. Fifth photo shows the retainer and springs removed and set aside.

Sixth photo show the cable being fed up and mast and housing being separated from motor assy. Note that there is a small O ring or grommet which fits between the lower insulator and a recess in the housing. Not exactly sure what the function is but it is there. Maybe a water or dust seal.

Seventh and eighth photos show cable reinserted in drive reel teeth, wrapped around and taped in place to keep it out of the way while the spring retainer is being reinstalled. Reinstall the spring retainer just as it was removed. GENTLY. I installed a few springs, slid it down a bit to hold those springs at one end, inserted a couple of more and slid that section down etc until it was back in position.

The last photos just show various parts. Top insulator slides out of tube housing as does the bottom insulator. The antenna connection insulator is in the tube and is pushed out from top and comes out the bottom once the terminal is removed. That connection should not have to be disturbed to change the mast. The actual connection is a terminal with a flattened tab which fits into a hole in the insulator. Once in the insulator, the flat tab is bent over and when mast slides into position it is forced against the bent over tab for the connection.

Attach file:

jpg  (115.21 KB)
209_56faaa317b4e7.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (104.67 KB)
209_56faaa3a80082.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (98.98 KB)
209_56faaa445618f.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (94.02 KB)
209_56faaa50baecf.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (108.63 KB)
209_56faaa5a265e1.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (114.97 KB)
209_56faaa65a6cef.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (96.24 KB)
209_56faaa6ed7ee2.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (92.51 KB)
209_56faaa7cc229a.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (102.97 KB)
209_56faaa8aa6008.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (109.50 KB)
209_56faaa9346dd1.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (110.92 KB)
209_56faaa9dbd1b5.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2016/3/29 11:17
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
could a speedo cable work to replace nylon?

Posted on: 2016/3/29 12:32
Riki
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not unless the speedo cable is plastic or something. The mast is insulated from all other parts of the antenna. A metal speedo cable would short the mast to the antenna housing and effectively the mast would be grounded.

Posted on: 2016/3/29 12:51
Howard
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Has anyone tried calling these guys and seen if they have a replacement mast that may work??

http://www.antennamastsrus.com/

They many makes and models on their website, and they say they carry others that are not listed. Worth a shot.

Posted on: 2016/3/29 14:43
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved