Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
86 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 83

DavidM, Peter Packard, bkazmer, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1946 Overdrive
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

gr8scottw
See User information
Hello! I'm new the Packard world, with a 1946 Super Clipper Touring. When I purchased the car, there was another Overdrive transmission with the car (the car didn't originally have o/d).

I guess my question to you fine folks is: Were the overdrives Borg Warner o/d's? In 1946 would it have been the R-9 or R-10? I have the book on the R-10 & R-11, but haven't found anything about the R-9. I want to put the overdrive transmission in the car to help with touring, but trying to gather some information first!

Thanks,
Scott White
Alamosa, CO

Posted on: 2016/3/30 17:42
 Top  Print   

Re: 1946 Overdrive
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Welcome to the forum and to Packards. The 21st series 46-7 cars are excellent cars for the first foray into Packards.

The OD is Borg-Warner and would have been the R9 in 46-47 cars. Packard never used the R10 and went to the R11 in mid 48 after 22nd series production had commenced. The 356 engine cars had a heaver duty version of the R9 designated the R9A-1. That has a slightly larger input shaft and a pinion assy with 4 pinions vs 3 in the other cars.

Your Super should have the big engine (356) if it is the original engine. The trans and OD assy needs to be the heavy version for the input shaft to fit the clutch, throwout, and pilot bearing etc. You might want to verify the combination you have. In addition to the OD, you will need the R9 dual relay assy and R9 solenoid. Neither of those is interchangeable with R11 components and if not present can be expensive. Used are getting harder to find in good condition. The R9 kickdown switch is different but the R11 switch can be used. The other items such as lockout switch and cable, governor etc are the same as R11s used. Mechanically and electrically the R9 is quite different than R11s. They can be a bit more temperamental if electrical items are not working properly.

You can download the EconoDrive training manual from the literature section on sitehttps://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/EconoDriveTrainingBook.pdf That is the Packard manual detailing the theory, operation and repair of the R9.

Posted on: 2016/3/30 18:02
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

gr8scottw
See User information
Thanks for the info!

Question: I realize that the R9A-1 is what I need. Is there a quick way to tell which O/D I have just by looking? Is there a model stamped on it? Something distinctive that would tell me without taking it apart?

Thanks again!
Scott

Posted on: 2016/3/31 8:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The model will be cast into the OD housing on the passenger side of the unit (lockout lever and solenoid side) and should be fairly large letters near the top. There is a thread somewhere in the forum where the diameter of the two size input shafts is mentioned. I don't remember the numbers offhand but perhaps someone else will link the thread or remember the numbers.

Posted on: 2016/3/31 8:32
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
The larger input shaft diameter is a bit under 1-3/8 inches while the smaller one is 1-1/8 inches

Posted on: 2016/3/31 9:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I have a NOS kick down switch listed on my site below in the Classified Ads in case you need one.

Posted on: 2016/3/31 11:44
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

gr8scottw
See User information
Don,

I'm interested in the kickdown switch. I'll send you a PM for details.

Thanks,
Scott White
gr8scottw@gmail.com

Posted on: 2016/4/4 21:19
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

gr8scottw
See User information
Will someone post a photo of an installed kickdown switch for an R9 overdrive?

Posted on: 2016/4/5 15:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
This is a 21st series 47 with R9 and Electromatic. R11 switch mounts the same but the switch has 4 terminals instead of 2.

Attach file:

jpg  (78.26 KB)
209_570426bb1102b.jpg 735X1262 px

jpg  (109.11 KB)
209_570427a5cd4b3.jpg 960X1280 px

Posted on: 2016/4/5 15:57
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved