Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
114 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 113

37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1939 Six crankcase ventilation
Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
Working on an exhaust manifold leak, had to remove the intake and exhaust manifold. To get clearance, had to remove the crankcase ventilation tube located on the right side into the base of the carburetor manifold. In series with the steel pipe is an unusual fitting, a check valve?, followed by a series of kluged up brass fittings.
Any idea what that item may be? Only an orifice now, maybe .125 dia.

Posted on: 2016/4/12 21:54
 Top  Print   

Re: 1939 Six crankcase ventilation
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Your description does not sound at all like any part of the crankcase ventilation system which comprises the road draft tube usually fitted to the rear valve tappet cover for an fume exit and the oil filler cap as the fresh air inlet. What you describe sounds to me like an intake manifold drain tube with a check valve at the bottom. See a concurrent thread on here right now titled "38 120 poor running".

Or provide a picture?

Posted on: 2016/4/12 22:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
Should have provided a picture first time. Front of car is to right. More I look at it, something was kluged together over the years. So where would the tube go? Even the tapped hole into the base of the intake manifold below the carb is not correct

Attach file:

jpg  (53.67 KB)
111944_570dc29e934b4.jpg 1280X720 px

Posted on: 2016/4/12 22:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Since you are in California and assuming the car has been here awhile, I wonder if someone has tried to either duplicate the taxicab PCV system or perhaps the car was one caught up in the clean air laws of the 60s and 70s where DMV required a bunch of pollution stuff added -- even on old cars -- before they could be transferred or sometimes even reregistered.

Here is a thread with a couple of photos showing something similar and a bit of commentary from some of those having history with the pollution control add-ons.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=92928#forumpost92928

Posted on: 2016/4/12 23:06
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
Actually, car just got here from Michigan in November. It was my Dad's and we have been working on it long distance for about 30 years. Car came out of Missouri I believe. Looking at the other thread, this is the same part, same issue. Spring in side, no check ball and filled with old gunky oil residue.
Interesting, taxi was mentioned in the other thread. We did research and we believe this engine is a taxi motor as well.
So, on a factroy engine of this vintage, where would that pipe normally go or any idea where I would find one of these? Being wide open, certainly sucking a lot of fumes from crank directly into intake manifold, lean conditions possible unless over compensate with needle valve

Posted on: 2016/4/12 23:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There may be a photo on site but I believe the six with PCV systems had a fitting the copper tube attached to that would fit the same hole the road draft tube normally used. Look at the right side rear of the block just above the bellhousing where a road draft tube would normally be attached and see if the tube ends there. For the eights that had an adaption, I believe the opening was in the center of the rear valve cover.

Finding an authentic Packard valve may take awhile but I am wondering if something else could be used. There was mention of a similar looking Jeep valve in that other thread that might be an option. Since passenger cars did not have PCV maybe removal and back to stock is an option too.

Posted on: 2016/4/12 23:53
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Darrin180
See User information
According to Service Counselor Vol.21 ,No.13 Dated July 15, 1947, all new replacement 6 cyl. engines will include the crankcase ventilating equipment which was used only on the taxicab engines....This counselor also explaines the various parts used intake manifold to engine block with some pictures.......

Posted on: 2016/4/13 0:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
Interesting. From what we have found, this is the original engine. Curious why everything is pointing to an engine transplant with PCV

Posted on: 2016/4/13 8:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
Thanks Howard!

Think I'll head back to my local NAPA dealer. Was there a couple weeks ago and the counter guy spent a good hour looking in the back for a fitting for the oil canister brake line. Small town NAPA guys rock ! Bet he would dig through Jeep PCV valves as well

Posted on: 2016/4/13 8:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I don't know for sure about 1939 Six but all my 1940 110s either had nothing there or perhaps just a square-headed plug.

Even in California, all I ever had to add for emissions to any of my old cars was a device that went into the upper radiator hose where it connected to the radiator, then had a couple small tubes to the distributor's vacuum advance. California did not know how to handle one of mine that did not have a vacuum advance so I was able to get away without the device on that car since it would have done nothing anyway.

Posted on: 2016/4/14 16:16
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved