Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
205 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 205

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Headlight Wiring and Operation in a 39 1700 Series.
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

jim C
See User information
I'm sorting thru the rats nest of past owners under the dash and trying to get the car back to it's original wiring sans maybe another wire going back from my turnsignal switch so my stop lights work as turnsignals too, but that's another issue.
I have a wiring diagram of my car but I can't make sense of the wiring from the headlight switch to the dimmer switch and out to the headlights. I'm reading that the car had a city and country position on the headlight switch but can't find a detailed explanation of what that means or how it worked. It would be great if I could get a wiring diagram showing the system in action but I know that is probably going to be nearly impossible. If anyone can help me with this issue I'd appreciate it. I did manage to rebuild my rheostat for the instrument lights but would like to get a new one if I could. Can't find that either. Let me know. Thanks again...

Posted on: 2016/4/15 23:12
 Top  Print   

Re: Headlight Wiring and Operation in a 39 1700 Series.
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Rick M
See User information
the information is in the owner's manual which you should be able to find under Packard Literature and Manuals to the left of this page just above the link for Packard forums. I think I read it in the owner's manual I just got for my car. The manual is now in the glove box and I am away from my car.

I think the country setting only dips the beam that points to the left side of the lane the car is traveling in.

Rick M
1939 Super 8

Posted on: 2016/4/15 23:23
 Top  Print   

Re: Headlight Wiring and Operation in a 39 1700 Series.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Shields
See User information
If you click on Packard Literature and Manuals under the Main Menu heading on the left side of this page you can download the 1939 Packard Eight Owner's Manual. Page 14 of the manual gives a description of the operation of the light switch and defines what "city" and "country" mean. Page 32 has a depiction of the light switch with all the terminals marked as to what wiring goes where. Page 36 has a chassis wiring diagram. Even though this manual is for the 1701 series this should be of help to you as the wiring and controls should be similar to your 1700. Best of luck as you untangle the "rat's nest."

Posted on: 2016/4/16 1:15
Don Shields
1933 Eight Model 1002 Seven Passenger Sedan
1954 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved