Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
170 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 170

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

replacing water pump packing on a 1935 eight
Just popping in
Just popping in

Steve
See User information
Replacing the water pump packing on my 1935 Eight, the Packing Nut is out of adjustment and I decided to replace the packing.

Does anyone know the size and type of packing used?

I got some 1/8 Rope Packing from MSC, but it fray's on the end when you cut it.

Do I need Graphite Packing and what size? Any help would be appreciated.

Sincerely,
Packard Eight

Posted on: 2016/4/22 9:17
 Top  Print 

Re: replacing water pump packing on a 1935 eight
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You can buy the service-type split ring packing which is advertised in Hemmings Motor News from one or more sources. But the majority of us just go to the local plumbing store and buy a roll of graphited cord pump packing; cut a couple of lengths and stuff it in, use the packing nut to form it to shape, add more and repeat if necessary. That is may fray at the ends is inconsequential when you use the packing nut to form it to the cavity. 1/4 or 1/8 packing cord is fine but must be graphited! A good packing job should be good for 50,000+ miles at the least. DO NOT overtighten the final adjustment, a drop or two of coolant every couple of hundred miles is typical of a proper adjustment - remember these are not pressure cooling systems.

Posted on: 2016/4/22 11:06
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Out Islander
See User information
Is it necessary to drain the block and radiator of fluid prior to removing old water pump packing and replacing with new?

Thank you

Posted on: 2023/2/28 15:31
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You'll want to partially drain it, to just below the pump.

Repacking the pump is easier if you remove the pump to a work bench. Plus it would be a opportune time to check the ball bearings and seals.

Posted on: 2023/2/28 16:02
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

pmhowe
See User information
Steve,
I just recently repacked the water pump gland on my Series 526. i found the attached procedure (this one from Jasper Engineering, but lots of similar instructions on the web) very useful.
Phil

Attach file:

pdf Packing Gland Procedure.pdf Size: 35.96 KB; Hits: 65

Posted on: 2023/3/7 22:21
Phil
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Out Islander
See User information
Can anyone tell me the rotation direction to remove the water pump packing gland nut on an 1101? Mine has been way overtightened and I don't want to damage it by rotating it in the wrong direction

Posted on: 2023/3/8 17:18
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The packing gland nut threads are just ordinary common right hand threads. Facing the front of the engine, CCW to loosen.

Though you should be able to manage with Channelocks, a reproduction on the factory water pump wrench has been available for years from Byron York. MSC also offers water pump packing nut wrenches in various sizes.

Posted on: 2023/3/8 18:46
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved