Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
159 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 159

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 11 »

Re: The "After Eight" Roadster
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard5687
See User information
E-mail me a slice of that bread!

Posted on: 2016/9/2 20:32
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Not only is the bread done, but now the car is on its way back up instead of down.

The cowl has been carefully aligned and welded back together. The driver's door has been cut down and has been successfully hung along with its twin.

I took some pains to work out heat and ventilation details ahead of time instead of agonizing after the fact as with the Trevoux Replica. A small mod to the heater box makes it slip past the manifold, and the blower will be mounted on the side of the cowl. Ductwork will run over the top of the tire. That is why there is the odd cutout at the back of the inner fender in the next photo.

Of course the inner fender needs to be cut down and reattached to the outer. Placing the outer fender was as far as I got before I had to answer the siren call of cutting the grass. But you can begin to see the proportions of the car. Oddly enough, the beltline height is now only a fraction of an inch higher than a Studebaker Hawk.

You will note that the old airfilter is out of the question, indeed the Carter WGD is itself too high and I will be seeking a shorter replacement.

Attach file:

jpg  (185.50 KB)
618_57d6056e463d8.jpg 1408X1056 px

jpg  (164.44 KB)
618_57d6058388b7e.jpg 1408X1056 px

jpg  (157.06 KB)
618_57d605a95e359.jpg 1408X1056 px

jpg  (171.27 KB)
618_57d605c8e5926.jpg 1408X1056 px

jpg  (153.13 KB)
618_57d605dbedfb4.jpg 1408X1056 px

jpg  (179.05 KB)
618_57d605f1a582d.jpg 1408X1056 px

Posted on: 2016/9/11 20:33
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard5687
See User information
Being a baker wannabe, that bread looks fabulous! When I lived in the San Francisco Bay Area, I was baking bread often enough that I bought 100 lb. bags of flour directly from Guisto's mill in South San Francisco. You might enjoy Daniel Leader's book, "Bread Alone."

The "After Eight" is shaping up nicely! This is a very well-thought out conversion and your craftsmanship is obvious - and to be admired!

Posted on: 2016/9/11 21:16
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Very nice -- both the bread and the car. I must say I'm surprised you are keeping the Packard heater instead of converting to a small Vintage combo unit.

Posted on: 2016/9/11 21:39
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
Ross.
Both the After Eight and the bread looks fabulous, especially the latter.
Is the recipe marked "C"? As an amature bread baker for over 40 years I would love to try it out!

Tom

Posted on: 2016/9/12 5:16
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Wow! I'm so amazed at your talent, both with the car and the bread!

Posted on: 2016/9/12 18:58
[url=h
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I am using the Packard heater because I am a cheapskate! I already own it, it works, the blower blows, and I am keeping the car 6 volt. Plus it mates with existing distribution plenum

For the brave with a big mixer, or their own bread bucket, here is the bread recipe I have made approximately 500 times over the last 20+ years. Tom, I can convert this to metric for you if you would like.

Mix together 5 pounds of bread flour with 2.5 pounds of whole wheat flour, 2 tablespoons of salt, 2 tablespoons of sugar, and one tablespoon of dry yeast. Add 1 cup of olive oil and 1/4 to 1/3 cup dark molasses. Add warm water and mix to make a stiff dough, usually about 8 cups. Mix till it forms one ball on the dough hook.

Because of using little yeast and a very long rise time, extended kneading is not necessary. I usually make the dough early in the morning and end up baking the bread when I come in the house for my 4 pm coffee. If it rises too much before you are ready, just punch it down. That will only improve the texture and flavor. Divide into 5 loaves and place in pans. Then heat the oven to 390 F, and place a pan of water in the bottom to make some steam. In the 10 -15 minutes it take the oven to heat the bread will rise a small amount. That is enough. Cut the dough for beauty if you like, and then bake immediately for about 45-48 minutes.

It will be rather dense and chewy, with a wonderful flavor from the molasses.

Finally, took a day off to drive down to the ocean. Stopped in Georgetown Delaware at the site of the old Packard dealer. The building is gone now, but into the eighties they still had a huge black rubber mat at the door with "Packard" set into it in white letters. Wanting to be as inconspicuous as possible on my day off I decided to drive an SUV like EVERYONE else at the beach.

Attach file:

jpg  (193.49 KB)
618_57dc9f0d37190.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2016/9/16 20:41
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
"Wanting to be as inconspicuous as possible on my day off I decided to drive an SUV like EVERYONE else at the beach."

Posted on: 2016/9/16 20:45
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Your SUV is the pick of the litter -- best looking and one I would most want to have in my garage.

Posted on: 2016/9/16 21:08
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
Ross
Thank you for disclosing your recipe. Imperial is ok (thanks) - but I think I'll reduce the portion, as 5 breads are a bit "heavy".
A report will follow.

Tom

Posted on: 2016/9/17 14:17
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 11 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved