Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
164 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 162

humanpotatohybrid, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

21st series hood bumpers
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Does anyone have a more or less original 21st senior model that could answer a few questions?

Parts lists a 373956 rear corner hood bumper and associated clip. Quantity is two so I would guess it goes on the hood edge somewhere but don't see any obvious location. Max doesn't have any or any photos so would really appreciate knowing what they are or look like if someone has them and could post a photo.

Another question is on what I think they are calling pivot bumpers. I have collected several Clipper photos and there seems to be a great difference of opinion on how they mount. Some are flush to the fender edge with the rounded edge staying on top, some hang down with the rounded portion hanging over the fender and a couple have the rounded side facing inward. Anyone care to speculate what Packard had in mind for placement.

In two spots on each side of the fender edge there are approx 1/2" holes. Too large for the flat bumpers used for the rest of the hood contact area. Is there anything supposed to be in those holes? Most of the car photos show them empty and on others I can't tell if used.

Attach file:

jpg  (35.20 KB)
209_5740c43a77f7d.jpg 596X441 px

Posted on: 2016/5/21 15:25
Howard
 Top  Print 

Re: 21st series hood bumpers
Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
Howard;
My reference is the photo on page 526 of Automotive Quarterly's 'PACKARD A HISTORY OF THE MOTOR CAR AND THE COMPANY". I've looked at the photo with 9X magnification and have concluded the bumpers were attached with the rolled lip facing up & outboard. In your photo that would be the 'red' cars.
dp

Posted on: 2016/5/22 12:43
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Howard,
My car is like the red one. Same empty holes.

I can't find any remnants of a corner hood bumper, although it seems there should be one. My car shows some nasty paint scars on the window pillar, apparently from scrapes by the hood corner.

I noted some time ago that Metro sells a corner bumper that they list for the 21st, but questioned correctness because it covers so many years.

The Automobile Driving Museum has a couple of Clippers and I will try and remember to look at them the next time I visit.
Mark

Posted on: 2016/5/22 14:24
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
David and Mark, Thanks for confirmation. I thought the pivot bumpers might go with the rounded edge outward but with two different car photos I collected showing them inward had to ask.

The hood corners are the bigger puzzle. Packard went to a lot of trouble giving a part number and another for a clip so you would think they used them. Can't figure what they would have looked like or where they would attach though. The ones MMP has do not look Packard because of the curvature. Only place that curve would fit on Clippers might be in the middle by the cowl vent and I'm not sure of that. Maybe fits another model but I can't think of which that might be.

Posted on: 2016/5/22 16:23
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Just adding my two cents or two pictures.
Wes

Attach file:

jpg  (142.86 KB)
1003_574259f533a68.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (178.48 KB)
1003_57425a19912b9.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2016/5/22 20:17
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
My final thought on the 'unused' hole:
During the manufacture or transportation of the finished fender the hole could have been where a hook would be placed to lift the part . . . especially after the fender was painted.
In the aforementioned Packard history there are several photos of the 'shop floor', which highlight that parts were delivered to the assembly area by an overhead system. I suspect this would be quite typical of the industry. The first photo in the 22nd & 23rd section indicated that the 'front clip' was built as a subassembly. Unfortunately this photo is at the end of the line and does not include detail of the fenders being 'delivered', but at some point the outer fenders would need to join the growing assembly.
In the past I have encountered parts with approximately 3/16 inch edge holes that had no apparent use. I've always assumed that these holes were used to hang the part during final finishing, be it powder coating or spray painting. I guess they'll always be near an edge as are the fender holes.
dp

Posted on: 2016/5/24 19:18
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Hadn't thought of that and a possibility. The placement of the two holes would kind of keep the fender in a neutral position if hanging.

Posted on: 2016/5/24 19:24
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan Phenicie
See User information
Left side view, under the hood molding. (The hole in my photo is in the hood.)

I think the hole in discussion might be used to connect opposite fenders during assembly and subsequent installation onto the car.

Attach file:

jpg  (193.95 KB)
1936_5745c331a67a9.jpg 1600X999 px

Posted on: 2016/5/25 10:26
Dan
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Looking at DEP5's photo and my car the bumper placement appears definitive. I don't see anything on my hood the bumper could work against if round part is inward. Makes me wonder if the cars that have it inward have something different in the hoods or if their bumper is doing very little.

Appreciate the input on the holes. Probably as good an explanation as any since none of the 20-23 series bumpers Steele offers seems to fit that large a hole.

Am still curious about the hood rear corner bumpers and clips since apparently no one else has them either.

Question now becomes:
-- were they something that was planned but never made it into production
-- a prewar Clipper item that stayed in the parts book and was assumed to be on postwars
-- something actually installed but so flimsy they all fell off or deteriorated.

Speculation??

Attach file:

jpg  (86.34 KB)
209_5745ce55f04ac.jpg 1336X600 px

Posted on: 2016/5/25 11:09
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Howard, I always enjoy working on stuff and trying to figure out why something works like it does. So I looked at those (I'll called them Hood Pivots) Hood Pivots and notice that you are correct with putting the curve part up. I looked at a couple more different pictures of these Hood Pivots and found them with the curved part up. Which made me think why mine are curved down. Well I took one of my Hood Pivots off and the first thing I noticed was that the screw holes are recessed, so I would think it is mounted correctly with the screws fitting in the recessed holes. Then I looked closer at the Hood Pivots and notice what looks like to me that they are bent down. So I guess I need to do a little straightening on my Hood Pivots. I'm just wondering how did they get bent? When opening the hood are both the right and left latches suppose to be unlatched. Having one side latch and just opening the unlatch side, would that bend those Hood Pivots? Anyone else got any ideas what would bend these Hood Pivots?
Wes

Attach file:

jpg  (294.50 KB)
1003_57489b71dd655.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (145.83 KB)
1003_57489b8449ce4.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (233.52 KB)
1003_57489b9dcf1ab.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (277.27 KB)
1003_57489bb064e79.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (65.48 KB)
1003_57489bbeb9df8.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2016/5/27 14:11
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved