Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
124 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 123

R H, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

39 1700 map/reading lights, where were they mounted???
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

jim C
See User information
My 39 1700 has two lights just laying under the dash. After taking out the radio head and a few other things I figured they must be my missing reading/map lights. It looks like they go over the recess where the key and starter button are mounted but there is no bracket to mount them. The holes over the key and starter button are square. I'm thinking someone just took them out to mount the radio. Does having the radio eliminate the lights or is there some kind of special mounting bracket I should have? Any info on this subject would be of help. Also, are there two lights that go in the factory clock? One to light up the clock and another to shine into the glove box when the glove box door is open??? Any insight and or ideas where to get the required parts if I have something missing would be appreciated. Thanks!!!!!

Posted on: 2016/6/26 14:23
 Top  Print   

Re: 39 1700 map/reading lights, where were they mounted???
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Someone else will have to supply info on the reading light positions and mounting but here is a part of the schematic showing the location at what appears to be in the center switch section -- probably where you describe the square holes.

Believe the 39 clock is in the glove box door and same physical layout as the later units. If so, there are two bulbs. One for illuminating the clock face is powered via the dash light circuit. The other is powered all the time and connects to the same post on the clock as the wire powering clock mechanism. That bulb fits in a small hood like affair and has a mercury switch built in to the socket to turn it on when door is lowered.

Here are a couple of photos of the later clock unit.

Attach file:

jpg  (82.87 KB)
209_5770303d737a1.jpg 1200X1242 px

jpg  (209.30 KB)
209_5770304ce8800.jpg 1280X1183 px

jpg  (159.08 KB)
209_57703059c70b4.jpg 1280X951 px

Posted on: 2016/6/26 14:47
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JohnCobb
See User information
On my 4dr, they mounted on two vertical brackets that held them in place over the square holes just above the Ign. switch area. I glued in a couple of plastic pieces I cut from a milk carton to act as light deflectors, it looks good at night. This picture is looking from the rear with the radio delete plate installed.

Attach file:

jpg  (47.77 KB)
11516_577071bbc7dad.jpg 633X472 px

Posted on: 2016/6/26 19:21
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

jim C
See User information
Guys, Thanks, you're the best. I see how the reading lights are mounted now. All I need to do is make a couple brackets. I have the light sockets. As for the light in the clock. I wonder where you'd get the mercury switch socket. I really appreciate the pictures and the wiring diagram. That makes things much clearer.

Posted on: 2016/6/27 23:25
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved