Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
150 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 150

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: chevy v8 engine swap 52 packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
I'm not going to knock you for trying to keep an engineless Packard on the road. It sounds like you have the skills and the tools to do the job.

If I were doing the job I would start by removing the hood and the front clip and setting them aside. Then clean the frame and test fit the engine and trans. If you have an empty block and trans case so much the better. This will allow you to measure and make engine mounts and trans mounts. With engine and trans in place you can go on to fit the driveshaft, exhaust, engine wiring, throttle linkage and other parts before putting the front clip back on.

There are a lot of little details which actually take longer, and cost more, than setting the engine and trans in place but no doubt you know that.

Good luck, and please take some pictures and detailed description of the work. This question comes up once in a while but so far no one has actually done the job and come back to tell about it.

Posted on: 2016/7/15 13:42
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Dutchman

Before you go for the SBC, it might be worthwhile to pursue a parts car such as this '53 Clipper Deluxe for $800 in the LA area. Looks to have power steering too.

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/5627655091.html

Its been for sale for a while, the seller seems to be motivated to move the cars he has, so might accept a lower price to offset the shipping to the Reno area. The parts you wouldn't use or keep as spares for your '51 could be offered for sale here.

I can say that if that '53 potmetal grille is a good and pit-free as it looks in the photos, selling it to an easterner for good money would be easy!

Please keep us apprised of your decision and progress.

Steve

Posted on: 2016/7/15 15:38
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Note that the PACKARD V8 (55 and 56) sets about 3/4 inch toward the RIGHT (passenger) side of the car. Probably due to steering gear clearence.

I would not atempt to mate the SBC to the Packard automatic trans. Just use a 200R4 or 700R4 if u really think u need the 700R4.

The SBC is only about 500 pounds. The Packard 8 about 1000 pounds. So front spring rate MIGHT be an issue. I'm guessing not an issue tho due to spring sag over the 60 years.

To the best of my knowledge there has only been maybe two people posting here that ever done an engine swap in a Packard. They nolonger post here.

With the experience u have as posted above i'm sure u'll have no surprises.

Posted on: 2016/7/15 16:22
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
The SBC is only about 500 pounds. The Packard 8 about 1000 pounds.

The Packard Eight weighs 785#. An all-iron SBC is 540#.

jack vines

Posted on: 2016/7/15 16:44
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
The fact that nobody ever put a small block Chevy in a Packard suggests there are reasons not to.

I'll never forget a 56 Clipper sedan in the local area. The owner had a garage install a used Buick V8 in place of the Packard engine. Then he decided to sell it. I offered $2500 which he indignantly refused. His reasoning was as follows. He paid $4500 for the car then paid $3500 to have the engine swap done. Therefore the car was worth $4500+$3500= $8000. I tried to explain that the odd engine reduced the value of the car but he wouldn't listen. Instead, he put the car on Ebay.

Top bid, $2200.

Posted on: 2016/7/15 20:32
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

dutchman
See User information
Y'all are giving me options and to some of you those options might be quite reasonable. Unfortunately as stated in previous posts here the financial situation is not going to allow for the those options. The car you mention is deep in the land of fruits,nuts and liberals. The cost to retrieve the vehicle would pretty well kill me. Not to mention the cost of the vehicle. I already have a good running small block Chevy v8 that is basically costing me nothing through some trading. Aside from that I have already picked up a 53 parts car, no engine, transmission or drive line.

I appreciate all of the suggestions I am getting. Unfortunately some of you are not paying attention to what I'm saying about finances. As I see it I have three real options here.

1... Go ahead with my plans to swap in a small block
Chevy and modern auto trans. Like a T400 or 700R4.

2.. Someone out there can donate a running 327 straight 8 and auto trans that bolts right in and is original.

3.. anyone wants to they can rescue the cars from the idiot who owns them (that would be me). Either by buying them or trading me a comparable year and condition Chevy,Pontiac,Olds or Buick car. Don't do Fords for the most part. Dodge in those years weren't too bad.

So that's the way i see it right now.
Dutchman

Attach file:

jpg  (284.63 KB)
136036_578a4fab578f6.jpg 1920X1152 px

jpg  (197.92 KB)
136036_578a4fc5525cd.jpg 1920X1152 px

Posted on: 2016/7/16 10:44
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Yes!!! Get the car up and running and enjoy the drive. I doubt that the engine swap will require any significant butchering of the OEM platform anyway. So at some future date the car could easily return to the Packard 8 or even V8.

One thing is for sure, ALL things considered of an engine, The SBC is by far and away superior to ANY engine ever built. If not, then it wouldn't have been so popular for the last 60+ years. I don't argue with success.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Posted on: 2016/7/16 11:03
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

dutchman
See User information
Thank you my brother and enjoy your weekend. Have a beer for me...

Posted on: 2016/7/16 11:07
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Have you checked the prices on Packard engine parts? I understand they are very reasonable. A friend of mine rebuilt his 1954 Clipper straight eight for under $1000 a few years ago. If you have the original engine and the rod is not sticking through the block it may be cheaper to repair than replace.

Posted on: 2016/7/16 13:47
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

dutchman
See User information
No engine no transmission. I have checked in my area and have found nothing. So would have to buy both and then rebuild both which would put me well over a couple of grand. Just can't afford to do it.

Posted on: 2016/7/16 13:51
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved