Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
75 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 73

37Blanche, Jack Vines, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

engine question
Home away from home
Home away from home

jsa03781
See User information
Now does one tell the difference between a 1948 custom 8 engine and others of the same year.. I know that the custom has more bearing. But what else can you do to tell. Years ago I had to replace the engine in my car and being new I thought a 48 was a 48. Now I want to know what I actually bought. I do know it has hydraulic lifters in the new one. Does that help?

Posted on: 2016/7/12 11:53
1948 Custom Eight
1950 Super Eight Convertible
 Top  Print   

Re: engine question
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Engine serial number will tell the tale.

Looks at the Engine Serial Reference Number guide where on the website.

Posted on: 2016/7/12 12:03
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
And if you want the technical details of the engine differences such as bearings etc, check out various service counselors. 48 22nd series specs are kind of spread about in different places so you need to search a bit. Since the 49 23rd series engines are for all practical purposes identical to the 22nd mechanically here is a more convenient link to those specs.

https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SC-VOL23NO5.pdf

Posted on: 2016/7/12 12:26
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jsa03781
See User information
Thank you! Perfect information that I can pass along.

Posted on: 2016/7/12 15:36
1948 Custom Eight
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
A quick and easy visual way is to look at where the distributor is located. The 356s have them in the middle and the others are more towards the front. Also, the starters on the 356s are different with a large solenoid mounted instead of the smaller relay on the other engines. The starter looks different too because it is a gear reduction type and is bigger all the way around.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2016/7/12 16:35
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
During manufacturing drilled passages are machined in the engine block effectively connecting the main oil gallery to each main bearing. These threaded plugs are low on the right side of the block and there will be one drilled passage per main bearing. Take a look at pages 2 - 4 in the Performance section of the 1948 Fact Book (on this site). You can see the threaded plugs and centered oil pump (distributor) on the 356 engine, and the 'forward' located pump on the 327/288 engines with fewer threaded plugs. On page 7 in the same section is a photo of a bare 327/288 engine block. You can see the 5 main bearings and the forward location of the distributor bore. Likewise on page 21 is a graphic describing the lubrication system, again the 327/288 engine is featured in this diagram, the cross drilled passages are highlighted.
The location of the oil pump / distributor, or the number of those little threaded plugs should confirm the engine model type . . . not necessarily the displacement, but the model type without question.
dp

Posted on: 2016/7/12 19:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jsa03781
See User information

Posted on: 2016/7/14 12:39
1948 Custom Eight
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

custo eight
See User information
I would like to think that the serial number stamped in the block would be a good indicator but that was not the case with my 47 super clipper 356. The car has been in the family since 1957 and rebuilt at least once by my dad. He always referred to it as a 9 main engine, 356. The restoration shop was ordering parts for it and took the serial number down as reference. Seems (to them atleast) that it was a smaller engine, 5 main bearing 327. I called Kantor and they said the two blocks were different in length (makes sense) and that the 356 was about 3/4" longer. We measured the block and found it was the longer 356 but the serial number still indicated smaller engine. Hmmmm....Engine is now out for rebuild at different shop but you might call Kantor for the length comparison of the series.

Posted on: 2016/7/19 13:50
Where principles are involved, be deaf to expediency. (Matthew Fontaine Maury 18th century oceanographer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I suppose an engine number stamping error is possible though I've never heard of it. What is the engine # in question?

Posted on: 2016/7/19 17:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
A picture would be very helpful. The 356 blocks are noticably taller than the others, I am not aware of much difference in length as the later engines can share heads and head gaskets with the 356. The easiest giveaway is that the 365 Distributor is right in the middle of the block whereas the later engines have it offset several inches toward the front.

Posted on: 2016/7/20 5:33
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved